to Oudomsai: glad we broke-up the hills - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

November 27, 2016

to Oudomsai: glad we broke-up the hills

"I'm sure glad we did more yesterday and broke up the hills", Rachel says as we have one more climb before Oudomsai. It was a good thing we decided to tackle the hill yesterday.

At 30km in B Lac 32 there was a Guesthouse on the left side. After crossing the bridge there are many yellow beer Lao signs for restaurants and shops sporadically along the route. All along the route today we saw many children playing. One group of boys were playing a spindle game and we stopped to watch for awhile. Later on, small kids were playing a jumping game with a string around the knees of three kids forming a triangle that other kids jumped over. We also are starting to see other types of meat for sale along the side of the road...it's not just pig, chicken or fish anymore...now we see monkey and rats. Might be a good time to start being vegetarian.

This morning there is some fog that quickly burns off, while we zoom down the mountain. The second climb is shorter and not as high, we reach the summit and start our descent of 3km with 9 and 8% grades into Oudomsai. Just before the town, at a huge brand new bus station, is the junction to Pak Beng. Ten years ago we had taken the slow boat from Luang Prabang to Pak Beng and cycled here. Oudomsay is larger than we remember and full of guesthouses. We end up in Saylomen Guesthouse that is recommended in the LP guide, it is cheap and okay with decent Wi-Fi.

On tripadvisor we find the recommended Kanya restaurant and go there for lunch. The sweet and sour pork, rice with vegetables and fried noodles are awesome. We stuff ourselves and plan to come back for dinner.

Some light fog on our route today. It quickly burns off.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cute girls at a road marker.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Kids playing with spinning tops. The first one throws out his top, two other kids then try to hit it with theirs. They are amazingly accurate.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Nice scenery on the downhill.
Heart 0 Comment 0
More kids playing by the roadside.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Piglets at a hut.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fancy new house in a small village. The woman runs a shop.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Downhill to Oudomsay.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Junction to Pak Beng. Almost ten years ago in 2007 we came from that way on our way north to China. https://www.cycleblaze.com/journals/balitoboise/to-muang-xai-beng-sabaidee-bye/
Heart 0 Comment 0

Laos 2006-07

Racpat Bali to Boise Laos, 2006-07
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 52 km (32 miles)
Total: 25,129 km (15,605 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0