To Nhkata Bay: Back down to Lake Malawi - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

October 4, 2015

To Nhkata Bay: Back down to Lake Malawi

"Where are the blue skies with white puffy clouds and lush green landscape?" Patrick says referring to the pictures we've seen in other cyclists blogs. We are cycling through Malawi at the end of winter and dry season. The skies are hazy with dust and smoke and the hillsides are brown waiting for the rain to begin.

We leave Moozoozoo Backpackers at first light and expect mostly downhill. Though it's never all downhill. The road has lots of potholes to weave around. We still get lots of "Muzungu" shouted at us but not nearly as much as in Uganda and Rwanda. When we stop for a break, kids will crowd around but when we start to eat the adults will shoo them away. Even fewer ask for money.

At the junction of the turnoff to Nhkata Bay there are lots of souvenirs being sold. That is something we have not done much this time in africa, buying sourvenirs. We continue down to and through the town then up a very steep hill to reach our destination, the Butterfly Space. We check out the nearby backpackers village first and find it expensive, with the price quoted in USD not local currency. We check into Butterfly, then go to the resturant and see Andy, the Scottsman again and Ben, a young British backpacker. We are early enough for a breakfast of eggs and pancakes. We will stay an extra day tomorrow.

Smokey vistas on the way down to Lake Malawi.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Every morning people spent a lot of effort sweeping all the leaves that fell off their patch of dust. Together with the burning it probably causes the hazy skies during the dry seasons.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Shady spot, log to lean bikes against and sit on..... Time for a lunch break.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Innocent is the name of receptionist at the Butterfly Lodge, he helps us bring the bikes down to our chalet.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Inside our funky chalet.
Heart 0 Comment 0
An open shower in the corner of our room. Rachel does laundry.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 49 km (30 miles)
Total: 7,451 km (4,627 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0