to Kooskia: Lochsa plus Selway makes Clearwater - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

October 8, 2017

to Kooskia: Lochsa plus Selway makes Clearwater

“This time next week I’ll be waiting to watch football on our couch” Patrick says. “Coffee and Bad Boys breakfast burrito on the deck” Rachel adds. “Except, we probably won’t have TV yet” Patrick mulls over the list of what needs to happen for reentry from a nomadic lifestyle. When first leaving on an extended trip, the reverse happens. Home duties retreat and the decisions of the road become norm, like how far do we ride, where and when to buy supplies and find water and where to stay the night.

Our decision to camp under the shelter was a good one. During the night it starts to rain again, and it does not stop. In the morning it is still drizzling and there is fog rising from the hillsides. Packing up though is dry underneath the shelter. It’s cold and drizzly when we start out with our first destination being the Wilderness Inn in Lovell for a second breakfast. Even with the dreary weather the ride is beautiful; there is lots of color along the river and mist in the pine trees. We were hoping to spot a moose, but no such luck today. We follow the Lochsa River downstream to the confluence with the Selway River, together forming the Clearwater River.

Our plan was to camp in Kooskia, but are tempted to take a motel on a day like today. So instead of heading straight to the campground along US12, we cross the river at the sign to City Center only to find that this road reconnects with the main road after the junction before reaching the city center. The Western Motor Inn is the only motel in town and it looks a bit rough. There is no one around except a red phone that rings and rings. After several tries we finally reach someone on the line, but she is not all that helpful with the message that the motel is probably full tonight. We ride back to the junction and the RV Campground along the river. For $12 we can camp, the hot shower is an additional 25 cents. All other “campers” seem to live here. The sky clears and then looks like clouds are building again.

Our home for the night. We feel lucky to still have a dry tent after all night rain.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Lochsa River with fall colors and low hanging clouds.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Riding along the Lochsa River.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fall colors along the Lochsa River. This must be the most beautiful river in the world.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Low clouds amongst the pine trees.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fall colors along the Lochsa River.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fall colors along the Lochsa River.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
How is that for a beach. We think it beats the ones in the Caribbean.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lochsa River beach.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lochsa River beach.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A footbridge into the Selway wilderness.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fall colors near Kooskia.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Clearwater River near Kooskia.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our campsite on the Clearwater River.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 82 km (51 miles)
Total: 40,763 km (25,314 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0