To Homberg: short day - part rest day - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

April 10, 2015

To Homberg: short day - part rest day

The morning air is still chilly and the tent is wet from the dew. We continue to follow the R-7 route but lose it through Giessen and start cycling on the road. Slowly getting used to traffic as most of our riding so far has been on bike paths and designated bike routes. The bike paths are nice even if it means weaving extra kilometers through towns and fields and forest.

At Grumberg, R-6 joins R-7 and we decide to follow R-6 to Homberg along the Omh river and camp. But the campground isn't along the river, it is three-fourths the way up a hill out of the valley. The camping in Germany is very different. Though the signs to the campground show a tent as well as campers, there doesn't seem to be designated tent spots and they don't seem to know what to do with us. Campgrounds have permanent trailers, as Patrick says, first comes the trailer, then a roof is built over the trailer and a satellite dish, then a garden and a fence around the garden.

After settling in the camping spot and hanging things to dry, taking a shower (see a theme here?) Patrick with an unloaded bike goes out to explore for food. He also finds out that the road we need for tomorrow continues up past the campground, so only a little bit more to climb in the morning.

Patrick returns with potato chips and beer! and dinner of pork chops, green beans and potatoes. We give a toast to the wind! The same force can be friend or foe...we want the wind to be our friend.

Heart 1 Comment 0
windmills dot the ridges, the bike paths go through villages, villages are usually on a side or top of a hill, the road drops down into the village and then a steep climb out of the village back to the bike path
Heart 2 Comment 0
Painted on the side of a building...is it Gandorf?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Without a bike route map, a road map where you know what towns you want to go through makes navigation easier
Heart 1 Comment 0
Dotted between the farmlands are woods. The path surfaces change for sealed to unsealed.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Camping at Homberg....this is a first for us....carrying chairs
Heart 2 Comment 0

Today's ride: 52 km (32 miles)
Total: 638 km (396 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0