Ranakpur Jain Temple: perfection carved in marble - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

March 12, 2016

Ranakpur Jain Temple: perfection carved in marble

Our hotel is 2 kms from the Temple, there seems to be no tuk-tuks only the bigger jeeps for transportation, and in keeping with our tradition of not cycling on rest days, we walk to the Temple. The Temple is still an active temple and only open to the public from 1200 to 5 PM.

Inside the complex and before going to the temple, we have lunch in the canteen with the locals, a thali for 50 rupees each. Then we make our way to the ticket booth, 100 rupees for each camera and 200 rupees for the audio guide whether you want the audio guide or not. Rachel found the audio guide very informative about the history of the temple and the Jainism religion. Patrick found it distracting from enjoying the architecture and taking pictures.

The ChaturmukhaJain Temple was built of marble in 1496 in a forested valley of the Arvallis hills, or "Land of the Kings" by 25,000 workers over 50 years. The Temple has 1444 columns none alike. This is one of five most important Jain shrines in India.

In the Jain religion the universe was never created nor will never not exist, is independent and self sufficient thereby does not require a higher power to govern it. The three principles of Jainism are non-violence, non-absolutism (open-mindedness), and non-attachment to possessions. Interestingly, Ghandi's mother was a Jain.

The day was fantastic!

The main temple at Ranakpur seen from a nearby hill.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Approaching the main temple at Ranakpur. Shoes, food, drink and all things made from leather need to be left outside.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Tirtankara
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0