Huascaran National Park: day trip to the Pastoruri Valley - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

February 17, 2017

Huascaran National Park: day trip to the Pastoruri Valley

Today we realized how lucky we were yesterday riding into Huaraz with beautiful mountain views. The weather is cloudy and we are set for a day tour into the mountains.

We fix a nice breakfast in the hostel kitchen. Patrick walked to a nearby bakery for bread. We ate oatmeal we've packed since Lima and for the first time since Mongolia. At 8:30, we walk to the tour office, on the way picking up at the bakery more goodies for the day. We are escorted a few blocks away to a tour bus area. Here many more tour offices are located. A bit of a wait on the bus before finally leaving and the tour guide is only speaking Catalan (Spanish).

The route to Huascaran National Park retraces our ride to Catac then turns off toward the park. Just before this in Ticapampa, we stop for a break at a "tourist" restaurant, with shopping opportunities for chocolate, wool mittens, hats and scarves, and coca leaves (against altitude sickness).

We leave the paved road and start climbing on a rough graveled road. Along the way we stop to see close up the Puya Raimondii "Queen of the Andes", the world's largest bromeliad this plant has a flower spike that can reach 10 meters tall. A member of the pineapple family, it is an endangered species and the plant dies after flowering.

The drive continues up the valley then climbs up Pastoruri Glacier. The glacier has been retreating and now takes a 45 minute walk on a rock and concrete path to the edge. For those who don't want to walk, there are gaucho's on horse ready to take you on a horse. As we hike up clouds move in and it starts to sleet turning to snow. Even though we do not have the beautiful mountain vistas today the stormy weather creates a special atmosphere here at the foot of a large glacier.

After another hour and a half bouncing back down the mountain we head back to Huaraz. For some reason with only 30 minutes to go we stop again at the restaurant in Ticapampa for a late lunch. We guess the guide gets a discount here. We are planning pizza this afternoon so we spend our time with a short walk around the mining town.

Back in Huaraz we enjoy an excellent pizza and salad at Bruno's, then head back to our hostel for a hot shower to warm up.

Patrick could not resist. Obviously this was a photo-opp staged for tourists. But this photo was worth one soles.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This one too.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Puya Raimondii plant grows around 4200 meters and has a lifespan of about 40 years. It dies after flowering.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Plants that have not yet flowered dot the hillside.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Puya Raimondii plants.
Heart 0 Comment 0
After it dies the plant just falls apart.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Puya Raimondii plant.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Puya Raimondii plant.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This would be a tough but beautiful detour from Conococha to Huaraz.
Heart 0 Comment 0
View of the mountains as we hike up to the Pasturi Glacier.
Heart 0 Comment 0
View of the mountains as we hike up to the Pasturi Glacier.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lake at the foot of the Pasturi Glacier. This glacier has been retreating rapidly due to climate change.
Heart 0 Comment 0
At the Pasturi Glacier.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lake and ice at the Pasturi Glacier.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lake and ice at the Pasturi Glacier.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Guinae Pig anyone?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Coca-Cola sign in Ticapampa.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Taking his day-time rest. This guy too will get active once the sun sets.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Traditional dress in Ticapampa.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ticapampa street scene.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Christian scene on Ticapampa church door.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ticapampa street scene.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Guy making figurines for the upcoming carnival celebration.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0