Hampi: Rest Day, around town  - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

January 24, 2016

Hampi: Rest Day, around town 

According to a guide booklet, "Hampi is believed to be the ancient Kishinda of Ramayana times where the Monkey kingdom existed". The town is set amongst the ruins of ancient Hindu temples and mounds of boulders along the Tungabhadra river.

Hampi is a magnet for tourists with it's history of being a major crossroads for trading. About four years ago, the government demolished the parts of the town that had been built among the ruins and dictated that the buildings could not be higher than two stories. Evidence of this still exists with rubble around town. Guesthouses that had rooftop restaurants now only have rooftops.

Restaurants cater to tourists offering Indian, Italian, Chinese, Mexican, Tibetan, and Israeli foods, seating is either at a table and can leave shoes on, or on cushions around low tables, taking shoes off. Since we eat Indian food between the major tourist towns, we go for Pizza and Mexican foods. At the Prince Restaurant, we had a Vegetable "Inchiladad" and a "Bin Burado". Excellent! The spelling of English words on menus can be entertaining.

The shops sell lots of India "hippie" style clothing, and also cater to tourists by knowing what they mostly need to buy. Prominently displayed in front of the shops, toilet paper and bottled water.

This has been a good couple of rest days before the next stage to go to Goa in four days.

Bikes and laundry on the roof of our hotel Shamblu
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Creative plumbing" the left shower head provides the hot water, the right shower the cold. Just mix in the air to get the temperature right.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Jeelan, our guide of the Hindu Temples. He is Muslim.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0