Leuca - Otranto - Wandering in Puglia - CycleBlaze

May 28, 2022

Leuca - Otranto

Today was a day to remind me to pay attention. With the heat and fatigue, we decided to just do the hill climbing from Leuca to Gagliano and from there train to at least Maglie and probably Otranto.  After some GoogleMaps hiccups, we made it to the station with about 10 minutes to spare.  On to Maglie where we found a place to get some lunch and hang out for a couple of hours. Returning to the train station we saw it was packed with the school groups we’d seen in town. Worse the train we are waiting for is only one car and it is ancient. Looked like something for the metal recycler. I checked the Trenitalia website and D’oh!, there was nothing about bicycle carriage. Didn’t really matter. We’d need a block and tackle to get our bikes up to passenger level. And the students were going to fill up the next train as well, which would be in another couple of hours. So, might as well ride. It’s generally downhill . . .

. . . right?

Not so fast. The Strada Statale was essentially all downhill, but it’s a limited access divided highway.  Got off it as soon as we could and did what I needed to do to force Google to give me a non highway route, which is fraught with its own peril, like dirt and rock tracks. After some far more difficult up and down than I planned, we arrived, amazingly, at the prearranged check-in time for our accommodation. Most of the ride from Maglie had been interesting and would have been enjoyable had it not been for the heat and the head wind. 

Accommodation - Otranto Trilo 38. Did I really the description correctly before booking? One real bed and one pullout? I know it’s common to put these things in an Airbnb to increase the bed count.  Oh well, I’ll give the old guy the real bed. 

Walked to Eurospin for breakfast food and some dinner fixings. Also picked up some frizzante. In the other room someone is trying to figure out how to watch the Champions League final.

Before sunrise at the Faro Capo Santa Maria di Leuca.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Looking back at the port and city.
Heart 1 Comment 0
On the chiesa, door #1
Heart 1 Comment 0
Door #2
Heart 0 Comment 0
And door #3. No curtains and no envelopes in my hand.
Heart 0 Comment 0
When we got off the train we saw three boys get into this utility vault and retrieve the ball. They keep it hidden there. I checked when we returned a couple of hours later.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A small portion of the students.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The antique rail car.
Heart 2 Comment 0
My regular grocery rant.
Heart 1 Comment 0
€0.21 for a 1.5L bottle of frizzante.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0