Beaverhead Finally Explained. - Powered by the Pedals - CycleBlaze

July 23, 2022

Beaverhead Finally Explained.

Night sky from the Dillion Bike Camp.
Heart 9 Comment 0
Beaverhead Rock. On the west side of RT 41 heading north. Key landmark/road sign for the indigenous Indians. “ the Indian woman recognized the point of a high plain to our right which she informed us was not very distant from the summer retreat of her nation on a river beyond the mountains which runs to the west. This hill she says her nation calls the Beaver's Head, from a conceived resemblance of its figure to the head of that animal”
Heart 3 Comment 0
Barn on the west side of RT 41 about 15 miles north of Dillion, MT
Heart 5 Comment 0
Barn on the east side of RT 41 coming into Twin Bridges, MT about 5 miles south of town.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Coming into Sheridan, MT looking east from RT 287.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Leaving Alder,MT on RT 287. The dredging in the early 19th century totally changed the landscape but generated $30B in today’s dollars. The money generated financed Harvard University in the early 19th century.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Nevada City, MT bakery. Very disappointing as they had almost nothing. 5 snicker-doodles that looked stale and one Cinnabon.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Picture of a shop in Virginia City, MT
Heart 3 Comment 0
My humble abode for the evening in Virginia City, MT Rambling Moose campground
Heart 3 Comment 0

So yeah I’ve been writing and sharing lots of pictures of the Beaverhead Mountains and it seems like creeks and rivers and stores and maybe even some of the kids here are named Beaverhead something or other. Mystery solved (and there is a picture that is both the sign of the day and an educational opportunity). You see the local Indians used a rock that they said looked like a beaver head as a landmark (street sign) to navigate to their summer retreat.  An Indian woman shared this information with the white travelers and the rest is history.  Now with that out of the way…

Last night’s sunset in Dillon, MT was beautiful so I thought I’d share it in a picture. This morning we got up and started a very flat to downhill ride into Twin Bridges, MT (I’m sure there are two bridges but I didn’t see them). Stopped there for breakfast and a quick loop around their Saturday Market. From there it was off to Sheridan, MT and then Alder. The route out of Dillion, MT was RT 41. 75 miles per hour speed limit and no shoulder. Scary but manageable given nice drivers and limited traffic. Thought we could refuel in Alder… now that’s funny. Two shops open in that town…US post office and a bar with pool tables. Oh well onward to Nevada/Virginia City. 

Another educational moment. Alder looks like a big old pile of rocks. And well I guess it is. During the early 19th century the whole area was dredged for gold and generated $30 billion in today’s dollars. Interestingly enough, a bunch of that money was used to fund Harvard University (back in the day). 

As if we hadn’t ridden hard enough today, the climb to the campsite was ..75 miles  with a 7% grade and we’ve done it twice today (once to set up camp and then again to return from town after dinner).   I guess I shouldn’t complain as it was just prep for tomorrow’s 5 mile claim up that same road (grade stays pretty even at 7% or so I am told). 

Saw another set of Bee Boxes but didn’t stop to take a pic because they we just white.   Did find a barn of the day…in fact a number of them. Also I saw my first prairie dog of the trip just outside Dillion. 

Last thing…at the campsite we met Tyler, Austin, Liam (Bubba), Talaina, and Aubrey. They were kind enough to watch over our tents and other equipment while we went to town. They also helped Mary Ann set up her tent. Thanks to these great kids from Polson, MT. A

Getting ready to add pictures and then off to bed (and yes it’s still light out). 

Good night

Ian

Today's ride: 58 miles (93 km)
Total: 3,298 miles (5,308 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Michele GordonOk ……that is such a cool story about beaver head rock …..the area has really embraced the name 🥰

thanks to the little folks for helping you all out ….so sweet , may you continue to meet kind folk along the way
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
John CoganCaught up today on your posts, Ian. Keep ‘em coming! So great to see and learn about all the natural beauty so are seeing…and all the good people out there.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago