Council to Cambridge- An Encounter With The Outlaw Josey Wales? - Undaunted Porridge - CycleBlaze

July 22, 2018 to July 23, 2018

Council to Cambridge- An Encounter With The Outlaw Josey Wales?

Hey! It's Sam Elliot at the top of today's post!
Heart 3 Comment 0
Or is this Sam Elliot? I get confused.
Heart 4 Comment 0

Today was our 8th consecutive day of riding, and since Jen's crud has not abated yet we decided to make this a short day and let her rest in a motel. The  next 2-3 days after Cambridge are long and there's no sense in pushing it. 

Giddyup!
Heart 4 Comment 0
Gusentheit!!
Heart 4 Comment 1
Heart 5 Comment 0

 The route out of Council was flattish until about mile 8, climbed for a couple miles and then descended for a few miles,  and flattened with mild rollers into Cambridge. The slight tailwind most of the way was helpful. We arrived in about 2 hours and stopped at the Canyon Station Cafe for an excellent and inexpensive breakfast. $15 for both of us including coffee and tip. 

Excellent food and cheap! Very nice staff
Heart 6 Comment 0
We found Ginny's Cafe....
Heart 2 Comment 0
And Jennifer Street, and the Judith Mountains and River back in Montana, but so far nothing named for Sharon. Sorry Sharon. We'll keep looking.
Heart 4 Comment 1
Judy & Sharon Thieme-RahnHrrumph! Do keep your eyes peeled. I'll be beyond thrilled if you find ANYTHING named after me - a molehill even would be grand.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago

Best line from Josey Wales:

Jamie: I wish we had time to bury those fellas 
Josie: The hell with them fellas. Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms.
This poster for The Outlaw Josey Wales (excellent movie) was hanging on the outside of an old theater. Surely it hasn't been there since the film came out in 1976! (Maybe it did, and don't call me Shirley!)
Heart 3 Comment 0
An abandoned hotel and lodge with an old phone booth. It looks like a coffee shop has taken up residence in part of the space.
Heart 7 Comment 1

There is a 24 hour laundry next to the cafe so walked over and the guy was locking up. I said, "What are you doing?", and he said, "I'm locking up.".        I said, "I thought you were open 24 hours?" and he said, "Not in a row". *

Great, a 24 hour laundry!
Heart 4 Comment 1

*The great Stephen Wright

I've been surprised at how much we like the small towns we've been riding through. The vast majority are friendly, offer free or cheap camping, and have at least a store to get drinks or food. You'd blow right through in a car, but on a bike they become either important waypoints or destinations. The more we experience smaller towns with populations of  100-3,500 or so, the more we dread larger towns with populations of say 10,000 or more. I wonder if that means the Grumbys will settle in Bonesteel, South Dakota, home of the TeePee Cafe?

The TeePee Cafe, Bonesteel, SD. And it's for sale!
Heart 3 Comment 0

7/23- Rest day in Cambridge. 

Today's ride: 23 miles (37 km)
Total: 1,715 miles (2,760 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 0