Krakow: We made it to this beautiful city - Hunting down Ancient Tractors between Dusseldorf and Warsaw - CycleBlaze

September 20, 2014

Krakow: We made it to this beautiful city

When we awoke it seemed an overcast but OK day. While we were eating breakfast it started to rain and the rain was torrential. What to do? Our host suggested another night but the forecast is not that great for tomorrow. We waited it out, the rain eased, like a flash we loaded up and were off down the hill and into the dripping forrest with merino under our raincoats. The forrest track lasted about 8km and the rain largely held off. We came out of the forrest and the rain started again with a vengeance and we hid under the motorway. As it lightened a bit we set off until the next downpour occurred then into a bus shelter - this peculiar way of travel continued all down the hill till at last the worst of the rain seemed to have gone away. Such a pity as it would have been a lovely ride.

From then on it was just a matter of finding our way into Krakow which if we hadn't had Galalio would have been a nightmare because although the route is said to be marked in reality there are few signs and those there are are almost illegible. The outskirts of Krakow has very grand houses with big gates and immaculate surroundings. Across the river and we started to go along it. Ken was in front of me and much to my horror I saw him have the most spectacular crash. His front wheel went off the road and he came down like a ton of bricks in the middle of the road - luckily no car was coming. He bounced up and seemed OK skin off here and there including a very bloody knee. His shoulder is very sore but nothing serious we think. The bike needed a bit of attention but it too is fine. On we went and eventually we found the Information and have an exceptionally comfortable hotel - receptionist took one look at the bedraggled site carried all our bags up to our third floor room and the bikes to their home on the first floor. We had a coffee and a big bowl of delicious creamy potato soup and we were ready to start again.

The market square in Krakow is I think the most beautiful square I have seen in Europe. It is also the most joyous and full of music and people. You just can't help feeling happy when you are in it and the waffles taste great. We are staying put for three nights and tonight will go to a Chopin concert in the Palace. Krakow did not suffer any bombing during WW2 so its impressive monuments are in tact

The motorway provides shelter
Heart 0 Comment 0
A superior bus shelter
Heart 0 Comment 0
A 'natural road' into Krakow
Heart 0 Comment 0
They were drinking Moldovian Wine
Heart 0 Comment 0
Beautiful carriages with matching pairs of horses
Heart 0 Comment 0
In the Market Square
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Folk singers in he square
Heart 0 Comment 0
Music everywhere
Heart 0 Comment 0
The acoustics were wonderful
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 39 km (24 miles)
Total: 2,638 km (1,638 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0