Samos: A freezing ride to this Monastery town - The Tractors between London and Lisbon - CycleBlaze

September 15, 2013

Samos: A freezing ride to this Monastery town

Last night as we were arriving back from dinner what should we hear but the unmistakable sounds of the Galacian Pipes. Ken was of course very excited and soon tracked them down. There was a single piper a young woman dressed in traditional clothes accompanied by a drummer.

The ride today was nothing special. When we awoke there was heavy fog and we started with climbing. We would go steeply down then up again till we reached the highest peak about 9km later. We could see nothing. Then came a steep downhill, the fog had not cleared and if there were villages at the side of the road we could not see them, it was absolutely freezing. After 17km was the little town of Tricastella and by then the fog was beginning to clear. It was fantastic to get into a mildly warm bar and have a hot cup of coffee and thaw out a bit. Back on the bikes and things were a little better. The fog had almost cleared and there were some short steep up hills which warmed us up a bit. What is more it was possible to look at what was around us, largely chestnut forests.

We came to Samos where there is a really huge and famous monastery and decided although it was only 11am to stop for lunch. It was nice in there and they had rooms so why not stop here. We had only done 37km but this is a beautiful little place with lots of interest so here we are in the Hostal Victoria. As we went to look in the church a mass was on. As this is part of the monastery there were many clergy taking it – 8 Priests and 4 Monks. They have a very fine organ and the music was lovely with a very good singer. Who should be there but Jo and Charles from Ireland who we keep meeting. They too had intended to go on but like us have opted for the Hostal Victoria.

We have had a really good poke around and went for a guided tour of the monastery, Our eyes took in the beauty but I am afraid as the guide spoke only in Spanish the commentary was completely lost on us. It is a huge monastery, part of it now given over to pilgrim accommodation. It has cloisters surrounding fairly extensive gardens and the buildings contain many treasures incuding ancient manuscripts and music, the oldest manuscript we saw was said to be produced in the 12th century. The Monastery had had a devastating fire in 1951 but the restoration has been complete and this treasure remains.

The Galician Piper and Drummer
Heart 0 Comment 0
Can you see me coming through the fog
Heart 0 Comment 0
The top of the climb
Heart 0 Comment 0
A clearing in the fog
Heart 0 Comment 0
A Renault at a mountain dairy farm about 30years old
Heart 0 Comment 0
Chestnut Forests
Heart 0 Comment 0
Beautiful Samos - an aquaduct into the Monastery
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Monastery
Heart 0 Comment 0
This chapel is from the 9th Century - A Capilla Preromanica Siglo 9
Heart 0 Comment 0
The cloisters
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Monastery
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Monastry Church
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is a Monkish town
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 37 km (23 miles)
Total: 2,621 km (1,628 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0