Going Home - Peaks of Otter - CycleBlaze

Going Home

We were packed and on the road by 4:00 PM I'm guessing. We debated staying the night in Lynchburg but, honestly, it's not the most exciting town on a Sunday night. God's Country don't you know. Liberty University is just down the road a bit. So we debated: Charlottesville or Warrenton?

Warrenton won out. Mostly because Charlottesville was too close. And our plan was to meet a friend in Marshall (or there abouts) and do a day ride, so Warrenton made more sense. It was only 2-1/2 hours away and we arrived about 6:30.

Unfortunately, the weather did not cooperate. We kind of knew that might happen Sunday night when we checked the weather. But the weather forecasts are so unreliable we all agreed to discuss it the next morning before deciding.

Well, we woke to overcast skies but no rain. So if we had started at 7:00 AM (ugh) we probably could have put in a few miles. As it was, we discussed it with our friend, who had to drive out from Washington, and the predictions for later in the morning were approaching 100%!

So no-go. We had breakfast at the hotel and pushed off at about 11:00 AM. Still no rain but still very overcast. As it turned out, by the time we got to Arlington an hour later it was raining in Warrenton. It finally hit Arlington as well with a steady drizzle all day. Not something I wouldn't ride in if we were touring . . . but not everyone feels that way!

Mark said later, "We should have ridden" and in retrospect, I agree.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0