To Toulon - You lead me away from home, just to save you from touring alone - CycleBlaze

May 15, 2022

To Toulon

The string of fabulous weather continues and the daily temperatures are in the mid twenties. Very nice for cycling and we are glad to be here in mid May as the heat would surely be unbearable later in the summer.

Paella in the local square just starting to simmer and not yet ready for our breakfast.
Heart 5 Comment 0

Today was the final leg of our tour in France (not the Tour de France!). All told, a little over two weeks of riding will end in  the port city of Toulon today. Again, we were not really happy with the roads and traffic as we continued to follow the EV 8 cycle route to the Mediterranean Sea.  Starting on the DN 7 for the first 1o kms was busy; transfering to the D205 provided some relief but it was short lived  as we soon began to climb a hill  on the D5.  Most roads were all the same two lane highway with minimal shoulder and the possibility of a speed limit change, if drivers wanted to follow it. Having said that, most drivers give a very wide berth but you never get used to the roar of the motorcycles out for their Sunday rides. Also of positive note was  that last 35 kms was on a downhill grade!

One of the nicer sections of road today. The scenery was quite good as well. From this picture you can tell that we had some hills coming our way.
Heart 2 Comment 0

The last 15 kms into Toulon were on a quiet N97 as the major freeway runs pretty much parallel to it. Reaching the city limits the ride even got better as our routing took us through a closed street festival and then onto a near empty road taking us almost directly down to the port. 

So in a nutshell, the  beginning of the ride was not great, the middle was okay and the finish quite good. Our coffee stop in Roquebrussanne was also perfect as we sat next to the local church and town square sipping our drinks while watching the world go by. 

Heart 4 Comment 0
Lots of motorcycles out on a sunny Sunday, Some more aggressive than others. They leave lots of room but their roar can scare the crap out of you as they blow past.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Back to vineyard country after spending yesterday in lavender fields.
Heart 3 Comment 0
What we think should be a nice country road has quite a bit of traffic on Sunday. Beautiful stretch though and I am willing to share the road with a Citroen 2 CV anytime.
Heart 7 Comment 1
Keith AdamsThat Ugly Duckling is either fabulously well preserved or has been very nicely restored, judging by what little I can see (mostly the color/state of the paint, and the wax job).
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Cacti on the N97 heading into Toulon.
Heart 1 Comment 0
American retro days on May 15 in Toulon. Who would have guessed?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Some cool cars. Cannot imagine filling this up at 2 euros per litre!
Heart 4 Comment 0
The top five American retro dress contestants. This lady was really playing the crowd.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Ring side view of the marina while enjoying a cool one.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We stayed at the L'Eautel Toulon Centre Port which is located  close to where our ferry will depart tomorrow.  For the first time ever a hotel wanted to charge us  to park our bikes in the car park garage. We asked if we could fold and bag them  and use the luggage storage instead. That would be ok. The money saved bought a couple of rounds at the Salsa dance party going on in the courtyard next door! 

Our day ended with a dinner over looking the marina. and a nice stroll back to our hotel. 

Looking out the window of our room, there was a large Latin dance class going on. We did not join in the dance but the party was a good time!
Heart 2 Comment 0
The sun setting on the Marina.
Heart 2 Comment 0
This statue overlooking the Port of Toulon is of "The Genie of Navigation". It was erected in 1801, destroyed during WWll, and restored in the following years. It has been nicknamed "Cuverville", in memory of an admiral by that name, but the name also means "bottom toward the city"!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 58 km (36 miles)
Total: 785 km (487 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 1
David MathersWe’ve been enjoying following along. Have a great ferry trip and we hope to see you on Mallorca. We’re at the hotel Eolo in Port de Pollensa until the 21st and then transfer to Soller.
Dave and Anne
Reply to this comment
1 year ago