To Interlaken - From Paris to Paris - CycleBlaze

September 13, 1993

To Interlaken

This was an unexpectedly leisurely day.  In the early afternoon, about ten miles from Interlaken, the rain picked up and all visability disappeared.  We reached the easy decision to get off the road, dry out, and rest up for tomorrow's climb.

Except for the weather, the day was surprisingly easy.  Except for a few spots where the mountains crowd up against the Thunerzee the ride was mostly level.  For a good portion of the ride from Bern to Thon we followed a bike path away from the roads, on the margins of farms or along the Aare; or, we tried to follow it - actually we got a bit off route from time to time, ending up in the mud and gravel - but it was a pretty route, and peaceful.  At one point we stopped to pet the noses of a donkey trio.   One of them, apparently disappointed at not receiving a handout, started nibbling at Rachael's panniers.

Along the Wanderweg
Heart 1 Comment 0

Thun is another lovely city hugging the banks of the Aare.  It features an impressive castle on the heights to the north of the river, and a pleasant commercial district beside it.  We had pastries and coffee at a sidewalk café, where we were interrupted by another American touring couple wanting to know if we were traveling by bike.  They were staying several nights in Thun, riding out into the countryside on day rides, wishing for better weather.  The man seemed a bit envious of our adventure - "Not being chauvinistic, but I could never get Marie to agree to do that", he said.  I felt very fortunate.

The wooden bridge, Thun
Heart 0 Comment 0

The ride from Thun to Interlaken is a waterfront route the entire way.  It is quite astonishing to see how steeply the land rises from the lake, leaving almost no margin for the road at all.  Terraced farms climb up the slopes.  Colorful houses, estates and gardens make it aa lovely ride, but one which became increasingly grey under the advancing storm front.

In Interlaken we found a room, hung out our wet clothing and shoes to dry, and then walked out into the rain to a grocer's where we stocked up on our goods for dinner and snacks for the coming ascent of Grimsel Pass.

Today's ride: 50 km (31 miles)
Total: 675 km (419 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0