Looking back at the mainland - In the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies - CycleBlaze

June 15, 2019

Looking back at the mainland

Before catching the ferry back to Sicily, let’s have a quick retrospective on our tour of the southern Italian mainland.  First up, here’s an updated version of our route, reflecting where we actually went rather than what was planned:

Heart 0 Comment 0

It’s really pretty close to the original concept, but there were a a few deviations.  The main one of course was our route from Altamura to Vieste sul Mare.  Originally we had intended to bike the whole way, by way of Andria, Melfi, Benevento, and Avallino.  We scrapped that idea completely, and instead looped the Gargano peninsula and then biked to the Potenza where we caught a train to the west coast.  The other changes were quite minor in comparison to that.

Some stats:

  • 46 days: 21 in Puglia, 10 in Calabria, 9 in Basilicata, 6 in Campania
  • 36 cycling days, covering  1,300 miles and 80,000’ elevation gain
  • Rainout days: 2
  • Flat tires: 1
  • Favorite towns (chronologically): Scilla, Amantea, Morano Calabro, Rocca Imperiale, Matera, Otranto, Lecce, Peschici, Maratea
  • Best experience: staying with Maria and Jack
  • Least pleasant experience: biking into Potenza.

I was quite surprised by our overall experience throughout this region.  We were looking forward to touring here (obviously, or we wouldn’t have come here), but it really exceeded expectations in many ways.  Wonderful cycling, fascinating small towns, awesome terrain, great eating, unspoiled by tourism, inexpensive.  There’s not much we’d change here, other than to adjust the season and be here a week or two earlier in the year before the it warms up too much.  With luck, we’ll be back.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 5
Catherine HastingsThis has been an awesome trip for us work avoiding, armchair following fans too. Thanks!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Catherine HastingsAnd thanks to you for keeping us company, Catherine! You’ve helped us keep our enthusiasm up, for the journey and this blog. We hope you’ll join us again down the road.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Jen RahnThank you both for the time that you put into the videos, writing, and photos.

This journal has been great company for my morning coffee .. and a highlight of my days!!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Keith ClassenReally enjoyed following you two on your tour. Appreciate your effort in documenting your travels and sharing. And by the way I really like that red sun hat Scott. Now that’s style... I need to get one.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Keith ClassenIt’s a great hat, and wads really well into a pannier. You should get one, and we could set a CycleBlaze trend! I think it’s an orange blaze crusher from Johnson Woolen Mills, but I’m not sure any more.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago