In Rocca Imperiale: day hike - In the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies - CycleBlaze

May 13, 2019

In Rocca Imperiale: day hike

I’ve mapped out some ideas for a day ride, but today does not look like the most promising biking day.  Showers are predicted for sometime around noon, and as we sit around the room debating what to do we hear the rumble of thunder.  Soon after it’s pouring, which clarifies our minds.  After sitting around for another hour I go down to the market below our room for ham, cheese and bread and we have a lunchtime picnic on our bed.  

Not long afterwards the rain stops again, and we decide to take a walk instead.   We settle on a lovely eight mile loop that follows the bed of the dry Canna River down to the coast.  Passing through town on the way back, we hit up an ATM and then stop for a beer and ice cream break at the Bar Lerose (the place we hid outat yesterday morning) before scrambling back to our town through the agricultural fields sprawled below its walls.

We get back to our room around five.  Too late to do anything productive before dinner, so we don’t.

Starting our walk to the sea, we pause for a look back at the castle.
Heart 4 Comment 0
We’re walking just above the upper lip of the badlands. It feels like the formation could crumble beneath our feet.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Such a colorful formation.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Looking across the Canna ‘River’. The border between Calabria and Basilicata is at the summit of the opposite ridge.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Looking down the Canna valley to the sea.
Heart 1 Comment 0
It’s an attractive eight mile loop walking to the sea and back from Rocca Imperiale.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Looking past the Marina to the Gulf of Taranto.
Heart 1 Comment 0
I can hardly believe that I don’t remember seeing olives in bloom before. I didn’t realize they were a flowering tree.
Heart 4 Comment 0
We’re following the Strada di Limone (the Lemon Road), the walking route from the old town to the sea.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Malva zebrina (I think, but I believe someone can verify), and lemons.
Heart 4 Comment 5
Bill ShaneyfeltI think so... Looked at lots of sites, and it appears as though it is.

https://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/51464/#b
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Andrea BrownDave and Bill are correct.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Andrea BrownDave?
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Andrea BrownTo Scott AndersonBill is citing “davesgarden.com”.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Scott AndersonOh, good. I thought you’d forgotten who I am already.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
We’re following the aptly named Lemon Road from Rocca to the coast.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Rachael is still feeling the effects of last night’s vino rosso, it appears.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rocca Emperiale, from a distance. It’s best viewed from the southeast; from the north, it’s just another wooded hill.
Heart 3 Comment 0
In Rocca Imperiale Marina, near the train station. An old watering tower for steam locomotives? A concrete torte?
Heart 2 Comment 0
Climbing back up to the old town, through this lovely avenue lined with umbrella pines.
Heart 3 Comment 2
Andrea BrownOr.... umbrella pines? (Pinus pinea)
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Andrea BrownOh. Funny. Thanks!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Just relax. We would never hurt that cute lamb you’ve got there.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Suppertime stroll.
Heart 3 Comment 0
So close! Just a few hundred yards more, but all steeply up. We’re glad to not have our bikes with us today.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Just how steep do you think this is, anyway? You’re wrong. It’s even steeper than that.
Heart 5 Comment 0
I’m so proud! It’s like I got a graduation certificate. I ordered a mezzolitro of vino rosso, and our server Antonio looked startled. You speak excellent Italian, he exclaimed.
Heart 4 Comment 1
Bruce LellmanWe all have our incentives to learn foreign languages.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Clockwise from the upper left, but not chronologically: homemade pasta with sausage and broccolini; spigola; cod with crushed red sweet peppers; and lemon cheesecake.
Heart 3 Comment 0
At Palazzo Pucci, Rachael cozies up to her latest Italian crush Antonio. Now he would never make me go biking in the rain, she thinks.
Heart 6 Comment 0
On the way back to our room.
Heart 2 Comment 0
I think Rocca Imperiale is one of the most enchanting towns after dark that I can remember seeing.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 0