Disc brake problem (Updated) - In the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies - CycleBlaze

June 2, 2019

Disc brake problem (Updated)

Rachael’s rear brake developed a pretty serious problem this afternoon - a loud mechanical clicking/racheting sound.  It came on rather suddenly and spontaneously.  The only remedy I could come up with was to loosen it so much that there’s essentially no stopping power in that brake.   Fortunately the rest of the day’s ride was absolutely flat, so we were fine for the day.

We’re still pretty new to disc brakes and their issues, and I don’t recognize this one.  Worn pads?  Something broken?  What are the possibilities here?

An update

Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions and theories.  As well as appreciating the moral support, it was educational.  I especially appreciated Patrick sending an image of what the pads and spring look like.

I have one other theory to offer though: in biking along a crappy, rough dirt path beside Lake Varano yesterday, something jumped up off the path and lodged in her brake pads, causing a sudden onset of abrasion and chattering.

This fits the primary symptom (sudden onset), as well as the second symptom that developed later: the sudden end of the primary symptom. I discovered this when I rode her bike over to the LBS in Foggia a few minutes ago, after it opened for the afternoon.  Before taking it in to show the mechanic though, I retightened the brake so that the problem would be apparent and I wouldn’t look like a fool.  I was of course quite surprised to find that her brake is now fine; and in fact it now functions  better than mine.

So, my theory is that whatever lodged into her brake yesterday dislodged sometime afterwards - maybe rattling along the cobblestones last night in Lesina or even when we arrived in Foggia awhile ago.  In any case, we’re whole and happy again.  Case closed. 

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 17
Kathleen ClassenWe are sending all our sympathy but haven’t any advice. Keith has managed to get his bike running in a rudimentary sort of way, hopefully enough to get us to a bike shop tomorrow. We are sitting poolside as I write this, so not exactly suffering!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Kathleen ClassenThanks, and our sympathies as well. I’d seen that you have your own problems to deal with. Things could be worse. We have a layover day in a small town, so we’ll just go for a hike tomorrow. The next day is virtually flat, and ends in Foggia, a larger place with a bike shop. Worst case, we could just take trains for the rest of the tour and hang out on the beach ourselves like normal folks. Enjoy the pool!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
David MathersI’m guessing too but does the clicking/ ratcheting sound happen at the same place on each wheel revolution? Possible damage or war page to brake rotor surface. Spin wheel slowly while the bike is upside down and watch for movement. Also watch your fingers!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Scott AndersonTo David MathersThe bike’s locked in a garage for the night now, but on the road I did flip it and spin it. It clicks multiple times per revolution, sort of as if I had a baseball card flapping in the spokes. And there is some sort of movement happening in there.

We’re getting quite late in the maintenance cycle, and were planning on a complete overhaul at the end of the tour. Hopefully we can find servicing that will see us through the last days here, but at least we’re on a train line.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
David MathersOkay good luck! Hopefully Bike Friday has used Shimano or equivalent quality disc brakes and parts are available and easily repaired. Good luck....I don’t think the noise is a terminal illness 😷
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Bruce LellmanYou might learn something about your specific problem by watching some YouTube videos. There are a ton of them.

Good luck!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Mike AylingI read somewhere that at least 2/3 of the braking should be done by the front brake so just ride slowly to the LBS.
I have not rushed to adopt discs and imho in the touring environment the old V brakes are just as effective on dry rims at least. After one revolution in the rain you have wiped your rims and you are back in business again, so as always ride to the conditions. Of course you need new rims every now and then.
I went Rohloff for both our tandem and my single some time ago and for touring will never go back to a derailleur bike. There is far less maintenance with a Rohloff.

Mike
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Patrick O'HaraHI Scott.

It could be a problem with the spring that keeps the disc brake pads separated in the brake itself. It does not look like a spring, but acts like one. It keeps forces the brake pads away from each other and allow the piston to press the pads together. I would check that out!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Patrick O'HaraHi Scott. Here is an image of the "spring" and pads.

https://247cycleshop.com/shimano-m05-br-m515-resin-disc-pads-spring.html
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Patrick O'HaraThanks, Patrick. I’ve never looked at how these work. We’ll leave it up to the bike shop to see what they can do. If I’m lucky, they’ll be able to repair it. And if I’m really lucky they’ll speak English and be able to explain what the issue is.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Bruce LellmanThanks. I did try that - not. Ton, but several kg anyway. I didn’t find anything beyond how to adjust them, but I don’t think it’s a maladjustment issue.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Mike AylingThanks, Mike. The LBS isn’t too L, unfortunately - it’s about 50k off. On the upside, we always ride pretty slowly anyway.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Rich HarrellJust wondering, even though the bicycle has disc brakes, are there bosses on the frame for the version that has linear pull brakes?
Might be a possible swap if they are there.
Good luck!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
David MathersGreat news! Why do we jump to the most serious theories first. Glad the brake fixed itself. Stay off those dirt pathways!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Scott AndersonTo David MathersBetter to be lucky than smart, I always say. Rachael would agree with the last sentiment especially.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Bruce LellmanYou are full of happy endings.

And, I'm glad those YouTube videos helped you.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Patrick O'HaraNice Scott. See. You fixed it!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago