Bikus Interruptus - Northwest Trails - CycleBlaze

May 10, 2023

Bikus Interruptus

A late breaking ride, three weeks out

We've had a glorious spring for riding this year, really top tier ever since we got home in April. A rolling progression of blossoming pear, apple, redbud, magnolia and dogwood trees and fine weather have drawn us out for one great ride after another. All the bikes have been out to play at one time or another. I even got to take my 3-year-old grandson out in the trailer to see the Bluebells and explore the creek. 

Springtime in St. Louis
Heart 2 Comment 0
The Meramec River is up
Heart 1 Comment 0
Weight training on a Bluebell ride. The single-wheel trailer is wobblier now with my growing Bub on board. Time to switch back to the two-wheeled Burley.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The Bluebell show was extravagant this year.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Mostly we've been out on the recumbents looking for extra hills to climb. After more scrutiny of some of the steep roads we'll be riding in June, it's time to buckle down. 

There's nothing around here like the 5.5 % steady grade for 10 miles on Going to the Sun Road in Glacier National Park, but you can find plenty of work to do in Wildwood, a hilly exurb ten miles west of our house. Lately the panniers have been dusted off and loaded up on a few rides. The tent won't carry itself. 

Gravel backroads
Heart 3 Comment 0
Getting used to the luggage again
Heart 1 Comment 0
Best effort so far
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today we're getting an early start on another gorgeous day with light breezes and low humidity, with a plan to string together a bunch of our favorite hills. The 63 mile route with 4,000 feet of climbing is close to the stats for riding up and down Going to the Sun Road from West Glacier, just broken down in smaller bites. Thankfully that trip will be a day ride, and there's no luggage today either.  

A carpet of Goldenrod just before the turn up the hill on Orrville Road.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Orrville Road is the first big hill. It's one of my favorites, starting off with a 12-14% grade that eventually levels off on a beautiful shady ridge. In three miles just one car passes us. The shifting on my Lightning P38 is rough though, and I've dropped my chain a couple times. That will get old fast on this course. After 16 miles we drop to a level spot and pull over for an adjustment. 

Sixteen miles in I shift down for another hill, the chain drops again and BAM, the bike comes to a hard stop. I'm not sure of the mechanical sequence of events but the upshot is the rear derailleur is broken and lodged in the spokes. Damn. 

After a good look, Barry concurs that the bike is down for the count, and heads back home to get the gurney. At least he'll get in a good workout. 

The derailleur is freed from the spokes, but dead. Ride over.
Heart 1 Comment 2
Rachael AndersonSorry that happened but it’s good you found out now!
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Janice BranhamTo Rachael AndersonMe too Rachel. It's actually good luck, I think.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago

While he's gone, I start searching to see what's available for a 10-speed long-cage derailleur. It's not encouraging, and I'm flashing back to the last time this happened, less than three years ago. I found a replacement Ultegra part on eBay that time, but the dropout mount for it broke too and I had to get a welder to fix it. Months passed before the bike was ridable. 

I don't have months. I might be able to find a lower grade replacement part, or better parts if I jump up to 11 speeds with a new cassette. Who knows what else might need to be replaced or how long it will take to get it up and running again. 

There's another possible solution. Last night I happened to run across the Facebook ad for the bike my friend Hank has for sale. Kelly will probably remember this bike from her Southern Arizona tour a couple years ago with Jacinto and Hank. It's a P38 on steroids, with belt drive, a Rohloff hub, low gears, disc brakes, wider tires that can handle gravel better than my 28s, tilting handlebar, all things my bike does not have. It's pretty much a dream touring bike for a short wheelbase recumbent. And it's my size. 

I've ridden Hank's bike and thought about it but felt attached to this horse and figured it has served me well. Until now that is, and that other time the derailleur broke, and the time the crank broke on a trip down the California coast. At least the crank fail was in San Francisco where help was readily available. I shudder thinking about how to keep this beast alive if something else breaks in Montana or Idaho.

They shoot horses, don't they?
Heart 1 Comment 1
Rachael AndersonLooks like it’s time to shoot this horse!
Reply to this comment
11 months ago

As it happens, we had planned to drive to Southern Illinois this weekend for a shakedown two-day tour. We'll be near where Hank and Brigitte spend the spring and summer and had already made a date to meet up with them for a little fun on the mountain bike trails. 

I text Hank a photo of the wreckage and ask if he still has that bike. Indeed he does. It's a great touring machine, but since he started mountain biking it's been languishing, waiting for someone to take it back out on the road. I think the Universe is talking to me. 

Dreamboat
Heart 2 Comment 3
Kelly IniguezWell! You never know how things will turn out. Jacinto has three belt drive bikes. He is quite smug about not having to clean a chain. You will never have derailleur problems again with this bike!

The surprising thing that Jacinto has mentioned several times (and he's not a guy to say much about such matters), is that the bike is really, really quiet with a belt drive. Jacinto says not just, my chain is perfectly adjusted and lubed quiet - but silent in the middle of night quiet. I'd be interested in your take on that one.

How long have you had your other P-38, the poor, dead horse?
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Janice BranhamKelly, this bike is silent from gears 7 to 14. Below 7 I hear noise from the belt but it's not bothersome to me, just an indication that the bike, and rider, are working harder.
Barry found my old P38 frame on eBay and built up the bike 9 years ago before our first trip down the California coast. I believe the vintage on the frame is 2008. We've covered many happy miles together.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Kathleen JonesOoooh. Very nice.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago

The fact that this happened three weeks before departure when we have time to do something about it is starting to look like a huge blessing. Fingers crosses this works out. 

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Rachael AndersonI can’t wait to hear how the new bike works out!
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Scott AndersonWhat luck that it broke here and not on tour, and that you’ve got a replacement available.

Looking at your route and schedule again, it’s likely we’ll still be in Portland when you pass through the first time, if not when you double back from Astoria to fly home. We’re planning to leave for a road trip to Canada on July 11th. We’ll be watching your progress when you get closer.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Janice BranhamTo Scott AndersonWe've actually scotched the ride to Astoria to make more time for the rest of the tour. We expect to get to Portland July 4 and stay with friends until we fly home July 7. Would be great to see you two.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago