Rochester, NY to Lockport, NY: - Atlantic NorEaster - CycleBlaze

June 11, 2012

Rochester, NY to Lockport, NY:

A hot flat day.

We stayed at the Towpath Motel which turned out to be more than a mile from the canal. The foreign born manager attempted to be helpful (and in fact we recommend the place considering the price) when we asked for the best route back to the canal. He immediately launched Google Earth on his computer and asked for the address. I was unable to explain that the canal did not have an address or what "Erie" was. He obviously had no idea what prompted the name of the motel. This is the second time we encountered a motel owner whose motel was close to the Erie Canal that had no idea where it was much less it's significance. The last time time I could have thrown a baseball from the parking lot and hit the canal.

Canal tugboat
Heart 0 Comment 0
The town of Brockport had gone all out to develop their canal frontage. This was the Harbor Master's office and also the Welcome Center.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The community had loaner bicycles that were primarily used by boaters on the canal when they docked in town.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The public restroom has a chair and a shower along with the normal amenities.
Heart 0 Comment 0

I'm having difficulty uploading pictures and text tonight so I'm giving up. I did experience a personal best tonight when both upper thigh muscles and the left foot arch cramped simultaneously. It's really quite a rush. I don't have any idea why the right foot arch didn't join in. It's a challenge to keep hydrated on these hot humid days.

There was a bicycle shop in town. He didn't have a better tire for the trailer but did have a tire liner which should do the trick.
Heart 0 Comment 0
There was a shop dog named "Sprocket" who kept Rhona entertained while the tire was being worked on. She fed him some baby carrots (she doesn't realize how hard it is to change a dog into a vegetarian), but he wasn't very good at eating them, leaving crumbs all over the shop floor.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It can be a little intimidating when the shop dog is checking out your repair. You know he has seen this type of thing done many times before.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of several wood carvings.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 71 miles (114 km)
Total: 1,586 miles (2,552 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0