Off to Fran Josef: The whole meal deal - New Zealand Cycle Adventure - CycleBlaze

February 2, 2017

Off to Fran Josef: The whole meal deal

We rode the whole way from Hokitika to Franz Josef which was 134km and 3800ft of climbing. Gail, Henrich (one of our German riders) and I were the only ones to ride the whole distance. Not bad for a couple of old girls. I do have to give credit to Joe another of our German riders and his wife Andre for pulling us along for the last 30km. I love riding with these German guys because they are very safe riders, they look after their fellow riders and it was exactly how I was taught to ride in a group. We finally had good weather with no rain and light winds. It is beautiful route with the southern Alps unfolding as we went. The last time i rode this leg it was in the pouring rain and cold, what a nice change. We did the full distance because we have a rest day in Franz Josef tomorrow. All that means is no riding but we will walk to the glacier as a minimum. I have added photos to the last few days but the internet is still not great so limited photos and email will be limited until Queenstown.

Hilary passing Henry after we stopped for a photo.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Gail and our German friend Henry on the road yesterday. We were the only three to do it all.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Gail wearing her NZ silver fern jersey among the ferns.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A braided river and the southern Alps.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another view of the mountains.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A panorama because given the weather on this coast who knows if we will see this again.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The three who rode the entire 134km
Heart 0 Comment 0
After our final coffee stop the five of us finished the ride together into Franz Josef with Jo leading the way.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our little group on the road.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 134 km (83 miles)
Total: 1,399 km (869 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0