Lazy day on the bus - From the Mountains to the Coast - CycleBlaze

October 3, 2019

Lazy day on the bus

M2C Clayton to Greenville (Excursion day off the bike)

Tobacco Farm Life Museum
Heart 0 Comment 0

I am getting spoiled with the daily Visit NC excursions. Today's weather forecast was dismal at 97 degrees that felt like 103. The mileage for the day was 80. Not a fun day to be on the bike. 

We made candles, not the best choice for 90 degree days stored in the duffle bag.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's excursion took me to the heart of tobacco country to visit the Tobacco Farm Life Museum. It tells the story I see in central Ohio. Small family farms are disappearing, replaced by large growers and corporate factory farms. The museim goal is to tell the story of family tobacco farms in North Carolina.

Rocky Mount Mills
Heart 0 Comment 0

Or second stop was at Rocky Mount Mills, a cotton mill repurposed into a planned community. I enjoy seeing these type of projects across America particularly in smaller cities. The developer and CVB hosted the visit. Lunch was on the house at Tipsy Tomato, a pizza restaurant on the campus. The bus headed back to camp in Grenville stopping at a small town veterans museum. 

The afternoon sun made for nice light and shadows at the mill
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today ends my days of an excursion tourist on this ride. The next 2 days travel through beautiful coastal lands and onto the Atlantic shore. The temps will be slightly cooler in the mid 80s. The mileage is in the 60s and 70s. I enjoy this region of the state having toured it on three NC coastal rides. It will be good to get back on the bike. 

Cool Airbnb style small hotel buildings on the mill grounds.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0