Taos - Abiquiu, NM - The Mountain Goat Tour - CycleBlaze

July 17, 2011

Taos - Abiquiu, NM

As we departed Taos, these balloons were visible as tiny specks. The closer we rode, the larger they got, but then they started to land. Turns out they land near the Rio Grande Gorge, where we turned.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The view of the Rio Grande Gorge bridge from the visitor's center. The California crew called me over to the visitor's center. They were actually waiting for Ken, who had escorted me out of town. Ken had already passed by. The crew hurried off, never to catch Ken. He was busy chasing them, they were chasing him and none of them were riding in a circle. Jim made this amusing observation later in the evening.
Heart 0 Comment 0
An abandoned school house on Hwy 567. There were a number of abandoned buildings on the back roads we rode today. It was a bit spooky, being out there all alone. All alone. No traffic, abandoned houses . . . a horror movie in the making except for the bright blue sky.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The sagebrush gave way to pinion pine as we climbed in altitude.
Heart 0 Comment 0
There were some interesting new (to me) types of cactus in this area. Note the unique rock formations in the background.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We had our daily dose of climbing today, but overall it was a downhill day. A rest day, followed by a downhill day. Geez, aren't we lucky?
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Old Abiquiu Inn B & B was our overnight stay. We took the entire place and had the guys sleeping on sofas. They were good sports about it. It is a beautiful home, tastefully decorated. Unfortunately, it was very, very warm inside, even at night. Genny resorted to wetting a bath towel down and draping it over her body to cool off in bed. Due to the heat, none of us were too rested in the morning.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0