Hyere to Cavalaire sur Mer - Retyrement on 2 Wheels 6 - CycleBlaze

September 23, 2022

Hyere to Cavalaire sur Mer

Beside the Med, along the Med, under the Med.

Hyere to Cavalaire sur Mer. 

Beside the Med, along the Med, under the Med.

42 kilometres 

A few marauding mozzies to contend with as we pack up Marmot. Breakfast is a plum and a cuppa before heading up this link road to Hyere. it’s an unpleasant little road used by lots of traffic and a bus service and bikes. And it’s uncomfortably narrow. We stop for coffee and collect our thoughts before getting back onto the D599 cycleway.

Decamped.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Wonderful D599 cycleway.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Then we’re heading down to Le Lavandou. And we glimpse the Mediterranean in the distance.

Is that sea or a mirage?
Heart 1 Comment 0

What’s to do at Le Lavandou? Lunch and swim of course. We find a comfortable seat in the shade and eat our filled rolls while cafés and restaurants feed and water locals and tourists around us and men and women play boules close by. They have a magnet on the end of a piece of cord that obviates the necessity to bend over and get one’s hands grubby. Or bend one’s back. You simply snag your boule lift it and dust it off with a cloth. Probably everyone does this but it’s the first I’ve noticed.

Filled rolls for lunch.
Heart 1 Comment 0
All go at the boule trap.
Heart 1 Comment 0

After lunch we head for the beach and take a dip in the Mediterranean. The salt taste is a bit of a tonic after chlorine. The water temperature is moderate but there are few people in the water. At many of these beaches people simply wade in and stand about chatting. 

Sur la plage.
Heart 1 Comment 0

After lying about in the sun, we find the trail and head for Cavalaire sur Mer where we plan to spend our weekend. The path at some point is using what was an old railway line. It’s a little rough in places but easily negotiated and pretty flat. It would have been nice to have known this. Perhaps the information is online somewhere. Anyway we enjoy wonderful views of the sea and of houses and villas perched above the water, as well as plage privé here and there.

Heart 1 Comment 0
What more could one ask for?
Heart 1 Comment 0
A former station.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cutting up a bit rough.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Le Train des Pignes.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Approaching Cavalaire sur Mer.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Cavalaire sur Mer
Heart 0 Comment 0

The way down to the apartment we’ve booked is easy and before long we’re sorting out neglected domestic chores and quel horreur! visiting a supermarket.

Today's ride: 42 km (26 miles)
Total: 1,450 km (900 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0