Corre to Scey sur Saone - Retyrement on 2 Wheels 6 - CycleBlaze

September 7, 2022

Corre to Scey sur Saone

Gasping climbs and gathering clouds.

Corre to Scey                                                                                                             Gasping Climbs and Gathering Clouds

September 7 Wednesday.                                                                                                  51 Kilometres 

Breakfast down in the kitchen early. The speeding Belge with the ebike (180 kms a day) is away and soon so are we, waving au revoir to Madame. The old house is a formidable size and quite an attractive old pile, but upkeep must be an issue. We gather from fellow guests, the Bavarians, whom we now know as Gunter and Claudia, that the family also have a farm.

Ye olde stove in kitchen.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The Brown Room. Very comfortable.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

We’re on the road for the first 3 kms. It’s quite a busy 90kmh one but the traffic is considerate. Then we are off on a smaller route and it’s good to be out in the countryside. We meet the Bavarians at the entrance to Jussey. They are contemplating maps because directions have become a little unclear, well non-existent really though it’s pretty clear that we go on and this we do. We catch up at a boulangerie where we buy pains aux raisins.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heading for the hills.
Heart 0 Comment 0

From here the road climbs- our first real slow climb. Again the traffic is very considerate apart from a bus that comes alarmingly close at one point. Downhill to Port sur Saone we lunch on pizza from a Lidl nearby. 

Going up.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
At Port sur Saone.
Heart 1 Comment 0

The route returns to the river and we notice the Saone widening. There are pecheurs trying their luck and we even congratulate one joyous angler as he hauls a tiddler from the water. Some pecheurs are hard core wearing camo and carrying rods in large padded bags. We see a few women though, in particular two elderly women puffing on cigarettes sitting contentedly staring at the water.

At Scey sur Saone we meet the Bavarians for perhaps the final time- they are going on to Ray sur Saone. We have had enough for the day and check the campground which is small and fairly well formed, so we set up before finding the reception Madame who is very considerate and welcoming. 

Scey marina.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Scary!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

We are close to the water and have plenty of space. We make a quick run to the Carrefour for dinner and prepare hastily as dark clouds threaten. Across from us a young Dutch couple set up and we chat about cycling. They have just set out and have ebikes. They kindly offer us their lightweight chairs to use while they dine out. We’re impressed with how light they are.

After a quick meal, we shower and are in our tent and sleeping bags as thunder roars above.

Today's ride: 52 km (32 miles)
Total: 779 km (484 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Frances AdankThe kindness of strangers never to be underestimated. Lovely! And no night time clock chiming.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago