Rainout - Northeast Minnesota 2023 - CycleBlaze

September 23, 2023

Rainout

Day 17: North Branch to Maple Grove (by car)

WE'VE BEEN WATCHING the weather forecast very closely for the past few days.   It's consistently predicted a high chance of rain, and possibly thunderstorms, for both North Branch and Maple Grove.

A D is very hopeful that we can ride but has maintained all along that it's got to be a group thing, and if there's reason to change plans so be it.  

There's rain overnight, so we awake to wet streets.  The early risers of the group- there are four or five, including me,who are regularly up no later than 6- convene in the lobby, drawn of course by the coffee urn.  We've taken to calling ourselves the "Executive Committee " though we make no claim of authority. 

Today, of course, the only topic of discussion is whether we feel that riding is advisable and desirable.  Three of us are ambivalent at best, and are leaning toward the no-ride choice.  Our reasons are simple: the weather's iffy, riding in rain isn't fun, and the rewards don't seem attractive enough to balance the risks.

One of us puts it very clearly: "After two weeks, I'm tired.  When I'm tired I don't think as quickly, my reactions are slower, and there's more risk."  She's exactly right.  We're all concerned about the hazard that arises from riding on wet leaves, which we'd be doing for 30 or 35 miles.

Those facts put us over the top, and caution prevails.  The van makes a trip to Maple Grove with a couple bikes and some luggage, and returns.  Along with it comes Jim W driving his big Transit cargo/passenger van.  Between the two, there's sufficient capacity for all the remaining bikes, luggage, and riders.

It's about an hour-long drive to Maple Grove, and we arrive between 10:30 and 11.  Ironically the rain never materializes so our caution seems unneeded, but there's always that "what if" question.  Nobody feels cheated, or that we chose poorly given what we knew at the time.

We'll still have our farewell dinner this evening,  and I'm pleased that my cousin and her husband will join us for that.  It's been a great trip, and I'm glad to have had the opportunity to participate. 

It was great meeting and getting to know you all!
Heart 0 Comment 0

I'll take my time getting home, but that's not a biking story so will most likely not be chronicled here.

Thanks for reading the journal.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 8
George HallIt was fun following along. I enjoyed a few days in Minnesota in 2021 as I rode the Northern Tier route, especially enjoyed the Lake Wobegone and other trails. Reading your journal makes me want to return and ride other routes and trails. Best wishes and safe travel home,
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Kelly IniguezI enjoyed reading along with you. Thanks for sharing.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Suzanne GibsonI'm glad it was such a fine tour. Thanks for taking us along!
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Keith AdamsTo George HallThanks George. It's a great place to ride.

Glad you enjoyed the read.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Keith AdamsTo Kelly IniguezThanks Kelly, both for the kind words and the invitation.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Keith AdamsTo Suzanne GibsonThanks Suzanne.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Gregory GarceauSorry that your last day was a rainout. Hopefully it will make you feel a little better when I tell you that the section between North Branch and Maple Grove would probably have been the least interesting and least scenic day of your tour.

Anyway, good job on the tour and the journal. I like to read other peoples' perspectives on my state.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Keith AdamsTo Gregory GarceauOur route included 30 or more miles on park system trails, which held interest for navigational challenges if nothing else.

I enjoyed the time here. You live in a wonderful place, apart from the winters.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago