Day 3 How bad can it be? - The Long Way to Cleveland - CycleBlaze

May 17, 2023

Day 3 How bad can it be?

Bad enough to wish for a cold head wind.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Reluctantly, about to head out into some potentially nasty riding. It's going to be difficult leaving this comfy cabin and facing tough weather.

This is the Airbnb cabin that I stayed in last night.
Heart 4 Comment 0
As you can see, it was quite comfortable.
Heart 1 Comment 0

But I did leave after warming up by the wood stove. The temperature had dropped considerably from the day before - it was about 40 and very windy. The wind was pretty steady out of the north north-west at about 16 mph with gusts in the 20s. Unfortunately, north was the direction that I would be traveling all day.  If I was going to maintain my strict schedule, l would have to make up for miles lost yesterday, a daunting task considering the temperature and the wind. 70 miles. Good luck with that!

I put on just about every layer of clothes that I had and headed out.

A nice roadside attraction.
Heart 0 Comment 0
What a fun house!
Heart 1 Comment 0
I stopped in for a cup of hot coffee and the owner, Anthony, said it wasn't fresh. But he was ready for a cup himself, so he brewed up a pot and we had coffee and a nice conversation together. Mostly we talked about how lousy the weather was. In the end he didn't charge me for the coffee. He wanted some himself. Nice guy.
Heart 2 Comment 0

I made it to the appropriately named town of Rutland around 3:00, and I had just about had it with the wind. Rutland really isn't so bad, but I was in a rut.  The thought of setting up camp with the temperature expected to dip in to high 20's didn't appeal to me, so I tried warmshowers, but had no luck. So I thought I'd give Airbnb a shot again. There was a super cheap room in someone's house in Brandon, another 20 miles north. It was 20 miles further than I wanted to go, but I figured I could make it. So I left Rutland at 4:00.

I didn't go through this one
Heart 2 Comment 0
But a half mile away I did go through this one.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

I've read Chris Pountney's book 'No wrong turns', but I probably shouldn't have been thinking about it when I saw the dead-end sign at the start of the road that Google maps was sending me down. I've been on dead ends and roads with bridges out, only to find a minor inconvenience. I was in for a bit more...

This is Town Hill Road, a dead end road according to a sign. It's a lot steeper and rougher than it looks, so once I started down I knew wasn't going to come back up.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Doesn't look so bad. I can make it through that.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The view down the tracks.
Heart 0 Comment 0
And the view on the other side. The GPS said that road continued for about a quarter of a mile, and then there was a right turn. I can do this.
Heart 2 Comment 0
No problem as long as there's a trail.
Heart 0 Comment 0
But there wasn't. The hay was almost waist deep in some places, and pushing 90 pounds of bike and gear through it was tough. But it was only a quarter mile...
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 1
After pushing the bike for a quarter mile, I saw the road that I had to make a left turn on. Unfortunately, the road was on the other side of the creek and there wasn't any indication that a bridge had ever been there, but Google maps had it. If you expand this image, you can see a yellow sign in the distance indicating where I crossed the railroad tracks. But that's looking diagonally across the field. I had followed a straight line to the river and taken a right when I got to it. The next road to the north, Depot Hill, was still about a half mile away.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I tried to draw my route through the field as accurately as I could, but it doesn't begin to tell the whole story.
Heart 0 Comment 0

After wandering around this immense hay field looking for a road north of where I was and going through stretches where I started sinking into mud, I was finally able to come to a road that would take me over the river. All said, that little escapade cost me about an hour and a half. Not to mention the wear and tear on my body from pulling 90 pounds of stuff out of the mud. And I still had about ten miles to go to get to the Airbnb.

Believe it or not I still had the good sense to appreciate the beautiful scenery of rural Vermont.
Heart 8 Comment 1
Lou KatzinBeautiful photo.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

I got to my destination around 8:00.

Today's ride: 57 miles (92 km)
Total: 184 miles (296 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Cindy KallgrenHang in there Jim! It's got to get easier! Fortunate that there are nice people and lovely scenery along the way!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
William AustinOn the bright side, the Mets had a miraculous comeback.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Colin BakerJim…that was a really long day. If you hadn’t been bushwhacking it would have been an hour shorter. I think I would have taken my chances camping. You probably have good sleeping bag.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jonathan DyerAll this way I’ve been thinking, “I’d like to do something like this”, thenI got to this page 😖 Watching the roads shrink and the trails shrink and the grass get taller and the mud get deeper was brutal. Chin up, you got this, just remember, Google is evil! 😈
Reply to this comment
11 months ago