Au to Ypps, Austria - London to Istanbul on a Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

September 26, 2012

Au to Ypps, Austria

We see these tiny shacks on stilts frequently - what are they for?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The route is as described to us by other cyclists - a highway for bikes along the Danube - so wide and paved.
We can imagine that in the summer it must be so busy with roller bladers, walkers and cyclists.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This men's WC had a real sense of humour. All bathrooms are equipped with toilet brushes with the expectation that users will use them. We guess that men are not buying into this!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Such wonderful views across the Danube.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
We're not sure of the significance of this creature - but we loved the artistic carving.
Heart 0 Comment 0
In Wallsey, a small village, we were surprised to come across this Habsburg castle.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Farmers in this valley have their prize produce on display by the road.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This farmer had taken it a step further and decorated his trailer as well.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A curious homemade bike by the trail getting our attention and enticing cyclists to come in for lunch. Note the Gosser beer keg used to resemble a water bottle.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The dried out corn will be harvested soon for fuel.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We have seen these through Germany and Austria. We think they are insect homes?
Heart 1 Comment 0
Views like this continue to make us stop and marvel at the beauty of the surroundings.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
It has been a wet, damp ride today - we are pleased to make our destination, Ybbs...and as Barry said, we stayed last night in a town with only vowels in its name (au) and now we must stay where the name is only made up of consonants.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This bike sculpture is advertised the bike museum in Ybbs.
Heart 1 Comment 0
So many river cruise boats along the Danube.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We were unhappy with the quality of the Gasthaus booked by the Tourist Ofc, and Walter, the owner of the Tabac in Ybbs, took us under his wing and was determined to help us. He phoned a better place and secured a room for us. We find such kindness every day from locals as we travel in Europe.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another interesting feature in Ybbs advertising the bicycle museum.
Heart 1 Comment 0
What an interesting wall showing the levels that the Danube has reached over several centuries.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 58 km (36 miles)
Total: 2,858 km (1,775 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0