Genesis of the trip - He Caught the Katy - CycleBlaze

March 5, 2024

Genesis of the trip

Everything starts somewhere

YOU COULD SAY this trip began 30 years ago, when I was a cycling mentor for a group of teens planning to take their first-ever multi-day bicycle journey.  It was part of a program called the Cycle Across Maryland (CAM) Teen Challenge; the organization that operated CAM had extended their portfolio of outreach to include a challenge to "at risk" high school students: do the weekly training rides, complete the ~300 mile week-long Cycle Across Maryland tour at the end of July, earn a new bicycle. 

The Teen Challenge program expanded to include select high schools in Montgomery County, MD, where I live, in 1994.  In about January of that year I saw an announcement in the local bike club monthly newsletter looking for adults willing to spend four month's worth of Saturdays  starting in April working as mentors with the students who had signed up, taking them on weekly training rides, getting them to and from the rides, etc.  The culmination would come at the end of July, when the mentors and kids would participate in the week-long Cycle Across Maryland tour.  It was an interesting and intriguing idea, and I immediately signed up.

At the start of the program adults were paired, more-or-less at random, with a few kids who became "theirs" for logistical purposes (pick up before the training rides, return home afterward) and though it didn't always follow that they would also ride together during that day it often turned out to be the case.

Two of "my" kids were a friendly, easy-going young man named Wil (although he went by "Noe" in those days and, since that's how I learned to think of him I'm as likely to call him Noe as Wil) and his younger sister Maria.  Maria achieved distinction early on: the very first day of the training program she revealed that she had never even been on a bike before that day!  

Although she completed the training program she wasn't quite ready to make that year's tour but she came back the following year, and for several more years, even going on to help establish the same program in other Maryland counties.  She's also completed a coast-to-coast tour several years ago, something I'm unlikely to ever accomplish, so the student has far surpassed the teacher.

We all had a great time that summer, and formed what has become enduring, lasting friendships.  In fact, in the three decades since then, their family have "adopted" my wife and me, honoring us by including us in various family gatherings and milestone events (graduations, weddings, baby showers, milestone birthdays, etc.).

Although I'd kept in loose contact with Maria, another sister, and their mother over the years, I'd lost largely touch with Wil until a couple years ago when we reconnected in October 2021.  As we've reestablished our friendship he's mentioned on several occasions what an impact the Teen Challenge had on him, which is gratifying to hear.  Both he and Maria have continued to make cycling a part of their lives and we've enjoyed riding together on occasion.

Wil and I have been talking for a while about doing some sort of prolonged tour together.  Last year we spent parts of three days together on the C&O Canal; a couple weeks ago he asked if I'd like to tackle the Katy Trail in Missouri in May.  "Sure!" I said, so that's what we're planning to do.

As of now the plan is that we'll drive to St. Louis, impose on some of my relatives there for a night, then take the train to Kansas City the next day.  We'll impose on another of my relatives at that end, then set off eastbound on the Katy for the next five days or so, finishing up back at my kinfolk's place in the St. Louis suburbs.  After another night spent darkening their sheets and towels we'll make the long drive back to Maryland.

Here's the overall plan. I've spent several hours on the Katy Trail website (https://bikekatytrail.com/) finding possible opportunities for food and shelter along the way and adding them as points of interest.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Now all that has to happen is that I need to start getting out for appropriate training miles, ahead of the trip.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 17
Scott AndersonVery inspiring, Keith. I’ll look forward to following along.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
David HendersonKeith
As you know I am going to continue my cross country trip on May 17th in Sonora, KY. The Transamerica cuts across southern Missouri but I have friends in St. Louis area so I am cutting north to their house for a night then taking the Katy trail west to Clinton, MO then heading south again to reconnect to the Transamerica in Golden City, MO. I will be in St. Louis area on May 24th and heading west on the Katy on the 25th. When do you plan on being on the Katy trail?
Dave
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Keith AdamsTo David HendersonHi Dave

We expect to be actually riding the Katy from the 19th to the 23rd, most likely. If we take it a bit easier we could add a day, increasing the odds of crossing with you at the St Louis end, but I'm not sure that's a possibility.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
David HendersonTo Keith AdamsHave a great time on the Katy trail. I have not planned out my overnights on the Katy but will likely camp. There appears to be lots of camping opportunities, not sure if I need reservations now or can just do it day by day as I make my way west. I am guessing that hotels along the Katy are in need of reservations way ahead of time
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Keith AdamsThanks- you do the same. It seems likely that we'll just miss one another, which is a shame. I enjoyed knowing that there were riders I knew heading my way, when I did my big trip in 2022.

You'll note from the POIs on my route overview map that there are a fair number of both camping and lodging opportunities. Camping is often available in city parks and the like rather than formal campgrounds. Some campsites are "primitive" - little more than a flat spot with possibly a picnic table and fire ring - while others have water, showers, restrooms, etc.

Have a gander at this website: https://bikekatytrail.com/ for what appears to be an excellent and comprehensive guide to what's available along the trail.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Mark BinghamSounds like a great trip! Maybe you could get Wil and Maria to sign up with Cycleblaze to post some of their adventures?
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Keith AdamsTo Mark BinghamWil is already on CB. I'll encourage him to write a journal but no promises.

Maria's mostly doing day rides these days thanks to the combined impact of job and parenting but if I hear she's taking a tour you bet I'll encourage her to write about it.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
John PickettThe Katy is a beautiful trail but it has a few drawbacks. First, being unpaved it messes up your bike's gears and brakes when it's wet.
Second, the services that are supposed to be available often aren't so prepare for closed restaurants and such. On the plus side there were a few places near the trail that weren't on any official trail literature. Go figure.
The Daniel Boone grave ain't worth the diversion.
Kim's Cabins in Windsor was a nice place to stay. Bikes go in the barn and there's a hose to spray them off with. Kim is a good egg.
Have fun.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Keith AdamsTo John PickettThanks John. Your writeup of your transit was one of the first I looked for, when this trip was proposed.

Unlike you, I plan to have ideal conditions at all points and times. Sunny, dry, warm (but not hot ot humid) days, cool crisp nights. If it does rain, it can only do it when we're on a paved section.

All advertised restaurants and stores will be open when we need them, I'm sure. I *have* noted places where food could be scarce due to closures, and plan to carry enough food to cover up to three dinners or lunches, and a couple breakfasts. And coffee for every morning. It may be rural Missouri but there's no reason to be uncivilized.

Thanks for the tip on Kim's, though Windsor will be a pass-through town for us if we are on plan.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Noe Hernandez FloresTo Mark BinghamHi Mark,

I'm not much of a writer but will try my best to put something together for this trip.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Noe Hernandez FloresI'm looking forward to the trip. the perks of having a retired friend and what to look forward when I retire.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Janice BranhamWonderful story Keith, and an excellent ride choice. I've ridden most of the Katy in pieces over 20-odd years and have always enjoyed the peaceful surroundings. It's so cool that you have reconnected with Noe. I'll send good thoughts for perfect weather and plentiful services. Late May should be an ideal time on both scores. Enjoy!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Paul KriegHaving ridden the Katy Trail in 2019 (“Crosswinds” journal in CB), I would like to make the following observations:
A) Plan on having to clean the dust off your bikes at the end of the day (unless you happen to start your ride after the entire state has been drenched by rainstorms). It is incredible the amount of dust the front wheel on the bike kicks up during the ride. I purchased a “foxtail” hand broom in Booneville to clean off the panniers as well as my lower legs and bike frame. Used that broom every day.
B) Due to the dust, I found that using a dry, wax-based chain-lube to helps keep the chain somewhat cleaner.
C) If you need shuttle service for any reason, check the trailhead bulletin boards for contact information. The park service will not lift a finger to assist trail users in this regard. In 2019, there were several places where the trail was closed due to the flooding, and the signs they put up were a big fat no help. They just said something like: “Trail Closed” “No Alternate Options”. The local residents put the lie to that. However, given the litigious state of society, it is little wonder the trail organization went out of their way to avoid mentioning alternatives.
D) There were plenty of trail maps at the smaller trail heads, but in St. Charles and anywhere close-by, there were none to be had.
E) Expect to see a downed tree across the trail at some point (generally not much of a problem to get around), especially after a storm.
F) For the most part, trees have grown up along the trail since the railroad abandoned operations. Pay attention between Sedalia and Booneville to the right-of-way, because there were some impressive “fills” between those two cities. In some spots, if not for the new tree growth, you would think you were riding atop the Great Wall of China for short distances in a couple places.
G) There are very nice “bike lanes” that totally segregate riders from motorists on the bridges at Booneville, Jeff City and Hermann.
H) Traffic in the Kansas City area is not what I would call biker friendly. If you are allowing just 5 days to ride the trail, you might want to consider looking for shuttle options from the KC train station to Pleasant Hill. When I made my route scouting trip in the car, I came in from eastern Kansas and drove from Belton to Pleasant Hill with the thought of starting in Pleasant Hill. That road (Belton to Pleasant Hill) was not anything I would want to ride my bike on. Lots of rollers, blind curves, crazy motorists and no shoulders. Driving from Pleasant Hill NW towards KC, the road had a shoulder with noticeable trash along the way and heavy traffic.
I) Some of the multi-story hotels make storage arrangements inside for bicycles ridden in by customers. At the others, I generally had no problem getting a ground floor so I could wheel the bike into my room.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Keith AdamsTo Paul KriegWOW- that's a lot to digest. Thanks for all the details!

We'll be getting delivered to "somewhere" along the route I've mapped out- one of the trailheads- by a KC area cousin of mine with whom we're staying the night before we set off. That should, I hope, largely mitigate point (H).

re point (D): are trail maps really needed? They certainly seem superfluous with respect to navigating the trail proper; is Google Maps plus the data in Ride With GPS enough for the rest?

re point (A) Having ridden the length of the C&O Canal towpath numerous times I'm all too familiar with the need to clean both rider and machine regularly, but I like the idea of carrying a small stiff whisk broom to help with the task.

My bike also has fenders, which I hope will help keep dust and grime away from where it isn't wanted. They're far from perfectly effective, of course, but perhaps they'll at least reduce the grime factor.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Paul KriegSee the images on this page: https://www.cycleblaze.com/journals/crosswinds/day-11-images/
My bike has flat fenders, but the talcum powder consistency of the dust let it get everywhere. I found that I wanted to ride at least 30 to 50 yards behind anyone in front of me just because of the dust kicked up.

Regarding paper maps: I am old school and do not even have a "smart phone". A flip phone is my limit, besides which, I grew up using paper maps, road atlases and Mapsco city maps. I can handle googlemaps on a computer and make notes to myself as needed, but that is about all. Besides, I have seen googlemaps take lots of folks down cow paths and trash laden back allies, so, yeah, for quick reference, they are okay, but I personally do not trust them. Much like the Adventure Cycling maps. City names and distances between towns are about all the information you can trust. Everything else is not to be trusted, because their update system is "lacking". I am not a Luddite, just old school. Gimme a book I can hold in my hand for reading or a paper map for directions. Batteries in books and paper maps never run down and never need recharging, because they don't have any.
Cheers!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Rachel and Patrick HugensA great story and love the continued connections and interested in following. The Katy trail is a great ride, we were lucky to be on the Katy during the 2017 Eclipse.
Have a great ride!
Racpat
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Gretchen CarlsonSuch a cool story of working with teens and now as adults you're doing the Katy trail together. Enjoy the adventure!
Reply to this comment
3 days ago