Day 24: Cruising - Of Kasbahs and Kilts - CycleBlaze

July 7, 2015

Day 24: Cruising

Back in the day goods would move in and out of Wales by mule, just like in a lot of other places. So the Welsh built a system of canals to move stuff to and fro; stuff like coal. As it happens Llangollen not only has canals but an aqueduct made of iron that is still in use today. But instead of moving coal and other fun stuff it moves people, i.e. tourists like us. And as it happens Leo planned a day off so we could go a canal boat ride.

It was cool, and According to our boat skipper the aqueduct has needed very few repairs over the years. They don't make stuff like they used to eh?

After the boat ride we went in to town for the parade. It was for the music festival. From what we can gather a big part of the festival is about inviting singing groups from all over the world, and it looked like most of the singers were younger. So the parade reminded me of the olympics, where all the athletes walked in to the opening ceremony. I have to say it was a festive affair.

After that we were prertty much, cooked, as in exhausted. Its funny how tired you can get on a "rest" day. Though really a lot of the "rest" time is taken up by extra laundry and other things that you dont have time or energy for when you are riding. So, we are kind of pooped.

But tomorrow we move on, and out of Wales. I have enjoyed Wales. It is pretty and the people are nice. I am glad we came but I wouldnt want to live here. I think I prefer a place with a little more sun for actual living purposes.

Its pronounce sort of like Lang-goth-en by the way, except that they LL at the start has kind of a sound like you are choking a bit.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Canal boat
Heart 0 Comment 0
Approaching the aqueduct
Heart 0 Comment 0
On the aqueduct
Heart 0 Comment 0
Also on aqueduct
Heart 0 Comment 0
One more on aqueduct
Heart 0 Comment 0
Further on the canal
Heart 0 Comment 0
The aqueduct and canal system are a world heritage site.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Steam train station in town
Heart 0 Comment 0
It looks like everyone in town was at the parade for the music festival
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lots of countries were represented
Heart 0 Comment 0
The U.S.A. was well represented. This is one of three groups from the U.S.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0