Nature's rollercoaster: Up and down on the Door Peninsula - Summer Adventure 2011 - CycleBlaze

July 6, 2011

Nature's rollercoaster: Up and down on the Door Peninsula

Kim writes:

The Door Peninsula is full of wonderful art, charming cafes, and beautiful flowers. Would really love to come back again for an extended visit and just walk around and take photos.

One of many bicycle planters along the Door Peninsula.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We're staying on Washington Island for two nights, with our first rest day tomorrow. After breakfast with our hosts, we will be taking another ferry boat across to Rock Island.

Kim's bike enjoying the 30-minute ferry ride to Washington Island.
Heart 0 Comment 0

John writes:

A common theme is emerging from our bike tour. Our bodies are working sooooo hard, plus Kim and I are eating sooooo much, that every meal involves one of us asking the other "Are you gonna eat all that?"

There are some things about cycle touring that I just don't understand. How is it that you stay in a motel room - where panniers don't explode and tents don't have to be taken down - and yet you don't get on the road the next morning until 11:00? How does that work anyway??? I blame it on the awesome breakfast that we had next door at the Village Cafe. After which, Kim and I pedaled to Sister Bay, where we ate a late lunch at the D.C. Cafe.

I have one word to say about today's pedal: Hills! Hills! Hills! I'll tell you what - my next bike tour is going to be of Iowa! Then we pedaled to North Port, where we caught a ferry over to Washington Island and pedaled to our Warmshowers hosts for the evening: Doug Huffman and Pat Clarke. After we pitched our tent in their front yard, they stuffed us with spaghetti, Pinot Noir, and cherry-chocolate cake with ice cream. Fantastic!!! Is this a great country or what?

John's bike going for a ride on the Washington Island Ferry.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The bridge
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 34 miles (55 km)
Total: 146 miles (235 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0