Day 17, 18 & 19: Crescent City, CA to Eureka, CA - Jack and Janet -- Seattle to Monterey 2010 - CycleBlaze

August 30, 2010

Day 17, 18 & 19: Crescent City, CA to Eureka, CA

Hello again- we have been off the grid for a few days and it was actually kind of nice. Really let go of everything but the task at hand. Bicycling, setting up camp finding food and camps basically just being one with the road and the adventure. We have traveled 90 miles since our last post and they have been very interesting. I am still going with my theory that Washington and Oregon were just training for California.Day 17 - 36 miles Crescent City to Elk Prairie State Park. HILLS!This was a beautiful ride however there are nearly zero pictures as it was either to steep to stop or to fast and steep down to stop!! We started right off with a 1200+ ft climb that was three and a half miles and took an hour and forty minutes. Not moving very fast. Then we lost all the high ground and went back to 500ft down again and back up to 1000ft. This down was through beautiful majestic Redwoods but it was foggy and five miles of down and I have never been so cold! the camp sight had sun and we just sat in the sun until it was about to fade away. We still have our Surly band of five. Jack, Janet, Catherine, La Shelle and Jimmy. Enjoy the dinners together.Day 18 - 24 miles Elk Prairie Park to Patricks Point State Park We expected this to be an easy 20'ish. NOT ...to begin with we were tired and a little sore from the previous hard day! Second there were three climbs to 500'ish ft but they were shorter and steeper than expected. So, it was not a rest easy day. However Patricks Point is so beautiful it was all forgotten before to long.Day 19 - 30 miles Patricks Point to KOA Camp - Eureka, CA We expected about 21mi and got thirty but they were pretty easy compared to the last two days. We stopped in Arcata and shopped for food, books for Jack and ate a wonderful lunch. It is a really cute University town a throwback to Berkeley in the 60's. Was fun to just mingle for awhile in a very bike friendly town. Back on the road it started to rain pretty good so when we pulled into the KOA camp we took one of their Kabins very cute and dry! Had a great jacuzzi/swim in the rain a very HOT shower and now we have connection. Life is good!

Heart 0 Comment 0

Crescent City beach in the early fog.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Elk
Heart 0 Comment 0

Flower of the day.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Patricks Point
Heart 0 Comment 0

Dinner guest Patricks Point
Heart 0 Comment 0

Trinidad, CA Harbor
Heart 0 Comment 0

This calf had the cutest little 'do' going on. But he was getting annoyed with my picture taking!
Heart 0 Comment 0

KOA Kabin
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 90 miles (145 km)
Total: 720 miles (1,159 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0