We are off…a ferry, hotel & two planes - Six Wheels Through Japan Part 2 - CycleBlaze

October 19, 2023

We are off…a ferry, hotel & two planes

Well, the logistics of getting ourselves, our trikes and our gear from Saltspring Island  to Vancouver Airport have been sorted and we are raring to go.  Living on an island is a lifestyle we love, yet it does present challenges.

Barry has spent a few days sequestered in our garage folding and wrapping our trikes to make them airplane ready. Thanks to Windsor Plywood, we were able to get everything we needed: a large roll of silver bubble wrap (intended for chimneys), foam tubes designed to wrap plumbing  pipes (will use these on the trike frame) well as a lot of gorilla duct tape. This is quite a step up from the supplies we bought from a dollar store in Osaka when we flew home from Japan in July.  

The next piece of the puzzle was to get to the ferry.  Our good friends, Leslie and Chris, picked us up including our pile of belongings with their truck. This gave us a wonderful beginning to our adventure.   Thank you!

The warmth of friendship and big hugs from our dear friends made our departure special. See you in 3 months.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We will miss Leslie and Chris. Leslie is many things to us…a good friend, the mom of children (now adults) whom Barry taught and our personal trainer 3 x’s a week. Her caring and expertise help us deal with old and new injuries, keep us strong and we share so much laughter.
Heart 2 Comment 0
But did we mention that Chris and Leslie have also brought Mochi into our lives. This gorgeous golden retriever welcomes us at each workout with cuddles, a low affectionate rumbled greeting, a happy dance and so much joy. Mochi and Barry also share a ritual with treats that require much concentration. Mochi always rises to the occasion!
Heart 3 Comment 0
We met this couple, Kylie and Paul who are from Canmore Alberta, at the ferry terminal. They have been on a holiday with their bikes on Pender and Saltspring Islands.
Heart 1 Comment 2
Lyle McLeodHey, we know them! I play hockey with Paul and Kirsten runs with Kylie (running group based out of her running and xc ski store - Strides). Small world.

We’re considering Japan for our next big tour (spring 2025) and may want to pick your brain. We’ve skied there several times (Hakuba and Rishiri Island) but have never travelled there outside of winter.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Barry BartlettTo Lyle McLeodWhat a small world. We really enjoyed meeting them and chatting with them.
We would be happy to talk with you about Japan…our 2 trips have taught us a lot. We hope to return to Japan this fall. We enjoy cycle touring most anywhere, but Japan has something special.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Paul (on my right) kindly offered to carry my panniers on his handlebars to ease my load. The kindness of strangers….
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our trikes have a safe place for the ride to Tsawwassen.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Pender Island, our first of 3 islands on our journey to the mainland. Farewell to Paul and Kylie.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Leaving Pender
Heart 0 Comment 0
We love Island life and living close to the ocean. Such a beautiful trip by ferry to Tsawwassen.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Being first on the ferry, we were able to get seats at the front of the ship and enjoy the view.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Approaching Galiano Island, our home of 15 years. Barry was a primary teacher there as well as on Saltspring Island until he retired. He is still affectionately referred to as Mr.  B by former students and their parents on both islands.

Mt Galiano (in the background) is a landmark sight and one of significance for us. We used to love to hike to the top for the view, but more importantly, when we lived there, MacMillan Bloedel gave short notice that it was destined to be clear cut. The small community of 1000 people on Galiano rallied round and raised the funds in a few weeks to purchase the mountain and save it from logging. Mt Galiano is now a protected place and will be so in perpetuity. The strength of a small community is an awesome thing.
Heart 3 Comment 0
In the taxi van enroute to our hotel in Tsawwassen.
Heart 1 Comment 0
And everything fits…us, the trikes and our gear…with inches to spare.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Next stop, Tsawwassen where will stay overnight before heading to the airport.   To bed early…tomorrow will be a long day.

.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0