Obama to Amakusa Islands - Six Wheels Through Japan Part 2 - CycleBlaze

Obama to Amakusa Islands

…on to the beautiful Amakusa Islands

The photos on Booking.com for our hotel were taken pre-renovations.   We imagine that soon the rates will jump considerably. We feel lucky to have stumbled on this gem….Jisco Hotel Obama Onsen.

Our room on the top floor had a wonderful view of the town and ocean. You can see the wonderful steam emanating from the ground which gave us a wonderful experience in the hotel’s onsen last night. The wooden slatted wall section is where the outside pool is located. It is so good when you have multiple pools of different temperatures available, one inside and one outside. The Onsens for both the men and women had these options.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A view of the front of the hotel with the precious therapeutic steam rising.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The lobby…just us…no staff yet, only cleaning staff.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Thumbs up from the Bartlett's on this hotel and special town.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Riding around the town of Obama Chuo we discovered many restaurants which cook the food in the steam.
Heart 2 Comment 0
This seafood restaurant looked amazing with a wide selection of fresh fish.
Heart 1 Comment 0
You select the seafood and veggies you want and then it is cooked here.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Huge prawns
Heart 0 Comment 0
Crab and other shellfish. The price of seafood is so reasonable…but we just had breakfast.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
It is hard to explain the effect of the steam…it is certainly hot but not uncomfortable and it feels like it is cleansing your pores as you stand there. I had stopped as I could hear the water boiling beneath me through the grate on the road. What a sight that was when I looked down. Residents use this precious resource for cooking, heating their homes, therapeutic treatments….
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Eggs are delicious cooked in the steam…just like our experience earlier on the trip in Beppu.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This amazing shop carries local products, mostly seafood, that has been dried. We often get the tiny silver ones with breakfast.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This man is preparing squid in his press. The finished product is on the silver tray and has a leather like texture. Very popular.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Squid before and after being dried and put in the press.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
One more look at a home in Obama Chuo before heading out.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This old bridge caught Barry’s eye as we were riding by.
Heart 2 Comment 0
What a beautiful spot. We discovered that the seismic activity in this area is very volatile and strong.
Heart 1 Comment 0

N

It is sobering to read about this fault running beneath our feet and that it extends across the island. We read that the threat of earthquake is very real here and there is constant movement from the fault. We also stopped as we were admiring a well established old farm alongside this river. We wish them well.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We are having a wonderful ride this morning through villages, fishing ports and farmland. Being able to travel slowly through rural Japan continues to be a highlight for us. 

Fishing is a lifestyle as well as a big part of the economy in these coastal villages.
Heart 1 Comment 0
….as is farming. We continue to marvel at the terraced beds that have been created by these farmers.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The angle of the truck gives context to the hills degree of slope if it hadn’t been terraced.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Village homes make use of every bit of space they can to grow vegetables and flowers. We have become accustomed to seeing seniors walking with the same bent over posture as this man has while he is stooped over digging up some potatoes. We fear that their life of labour in the fields has taken a toll, that cannot be reversed.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We will be sorry to leave this part of Kyushu. Its beauty and charm have captivated us. This has been an extraordinary day of riding. Nonetheless, the Amakusa Islands are calling to us. We have read accounts of cyclists coming here and it has whet our appetite to move on.. We could have stayed at the last town where the ferry departs from but Amakusa awaits.  We took a chance taking a later ferry as we have no idea where we may stay tonight. We know that there is very limited accomodation here, but we do have our tent.

Waiting in the ferry line gave us a chance to interact with locals and the ferry crew. We have found that our trikes (which arouse curiosity just because they are so odd), and the fact that we are cycle touring breaks barriers with locals. Regardless of language barriers, we somehow understand each other. When all else fails, google translate comes to the rescue.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
A half hour ferry ride has transported us to Shimoshima Island, the first of the Amakusa Islands.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We tried to stay at a local guesthouse…we did find it. However, the doors were open, the owner was not there and nothing had been cleaned up from the day before. We moved on and we decided to wild camp at this spectacular spot. It is called Wakamiya Park Camping Ground
Heart 2 Comment 0

This campground is free and by that we mean no cost at all. Some official Free Campground  have fees. This place has flush toilets, cold showers and the most beautiful view. Best of all, just behind the campground is a store which is stocked by the local farmers and crafts people. The women who work here go out of their way to make you feel welcome. We knew that Amakusa Islands are reputed to be special and this experience confirms it. 

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 40 km (25 miles)
Total: 1,435 km (891 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0