Hills and Rain through Beautiful Scenery - Six Wheels Through Japan Part 2 - CycleBlaze

November 6, 2023

Hills and Rain through Beautiful Scenery

A With much fanfare, we departed R9 The Yard with all of the staff coming  out to see us off. It looks like we will have rain today, which is a surprise. Japan’s weather forecasts are usually accurate to the minute, but today may be the start of a new trend.  Once again, we were given a gift from a local when we stopped for coffee. He rushed over with two bottles of cold green tea. 

It took some time to get out of the city of Shikoku Chuo, but very soon we were climbing which went on for about 12 Km and yes, it was raining. Surprisingly the road was not as busy as expected, but there were some big freight trucks. They gave us space.

Today’s ride was beautiful with towering forested and lush hills all around us. Despite the challenging conditions, we could appreciate where we were. There was very little commerce and we were happy to stop when we saw a village general store, Yamasaki. We took advantage of a covered area with a basic bathroom and got hot coffee and a cinnamon bun.

Lining the road were persimmon trees heavy with fruit. 

Our room at R9 The Yard. This type of accommodation is finding much successs. This group have these all over Japan.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Our wee room served us well, but we didn’t intend to be here more than a night. It got pretty crowded.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltWow, that container room IS pretty small/narrow!
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
The Manager came over to see us off.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We passed this Buddhist Shinto Shrine on our way out of town.
Heart 4 Comment 0
It will be a day of climbing under the shadow of the lush hills.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We loved riding through this amazing landscape.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The face of a cyclist climbing and climbing in the rain,
Heart 3 Comment 1
Keith AdamsThat facial expression fairly well radiates "This is Type 2 Fun".
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
When we can we ride on the sidewalk (if it is wide enough). Persimmons growing out over the fence.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We love seeing fruit growing like this in its natural habitat.
Heart 4 Comment 0
It is hard to recount how beautiful and wild this landscape is. We hope that the picture captures what we experienced.
Heart 6 Comment 0
We have been climbing with an eye on the river below. Liked this small waterfall.
Heart 6 Comment 0
There were a number of tunnels today. Most were short but this one was almost a Km long. We try to time it to be on our own, but that proved to be difficult. We appreciated how patient the truck drivers were.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltI'm sure you all were quite happy to finish riding through each tunnel!
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Refuge from the rain in this covered area by the store. When we arrived, a fellow ran up to us, excited to escort us to this spot at the back.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The kindness of strangers….as we left Shikoku Chuo, a fellow gave us bottles of green tea, and then we sat down by the store, a woman pulled up and gave us these Snoopy candies.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Well, the weather sucks, we have many miles to go, but we are buoyed by our experiences and interaction with locals at the store in this village.
Heart 4 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltHard to ride in the rain/bad weather...you all did great though!
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Yamazaki was our refuge from the storm…plus they had a bathroom. It presented a few challenges as it was the traditional “squat” style, but we aren’t complaining.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltSquat style bathrooms are better than no bathrooms, for sure!
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
There were certainly trucks on the road, but nothing like we experienced getting to Shikoku Chuo.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This iconic character the Badger is very popular in Japan. This guy seems pretty happy…perhaps he has partaken of some spirits that he is holding.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We saw on the map that we could cross the river via a Dam. This rope bridge spanning the Yoshino River was quite a sight as we approached the dam.
Heart 4 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltWow, that's an impressive sight of the rope bridge and surrounding terrain!
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Crossing via the Dam. So beautiful along this river.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Yoshino river - vibrant fall colours reflected in the river.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Another image of the river with a wall of tree covered hills in the background.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Just taking it all in.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Beautiful rock face and impossibly steep stairs - it all seems to defy gravity.
Heart 3 Comment 0
We have had a brief respite from the rain, but the storm clouds above the dam show us that rain is returning.
Heart 1 Comment 0
It is fascinating to see how buildings are built into rock and become part of the landscape
Heart 1 Comment 0
Bamboo forest
Heart 4 Comment 0
Manhole cover for the city of Yoshinogawa.
Heart 4 Comment 0
We liked this feature at the entrance to a Day Care for preschool kids.
Heart 2 Comment 0

We are staying at Family Lodge tonight. We were very pleased to see that there is a complex across the road with an onsen and restaurant. We barely unpacked and headed over right away. The onsen was incredible, busy with locals and 2 foreigners, aka the Bartletts. It offered so many different types of pools at 42degrees Celsius (108 degrees Fahrenheit). The women’s side also had three outdoor individual sized pools each with different therapeutic offerings. Mary Ellen tried all three! After a day of riding in bad weather, she walked in limping  with a sore foot and she left, not cured, but feeling better.

We also had dinner at this complex..Barry had wagye beef with udon.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Mary Ellen had chicken donburi with miso soup and tea.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Barry is in his happy place.
Heart 5 Comment 0

Today's ride: 46 km (29 miles)
Total: 376 km (233 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0