Heavy winds, cold weather in Okinawa - Six Wheels Through Japan Part 2 - CycleBlaze

December 16, 2023

Heavy winds, cold weather in Okinawa

We have enjoyed our stay at Tissage Hotel. Today we move on to start riding around the island of Okinawa.  It has been interesting to explore the area where we are staying. Okinawa has a more laid back vibe. It is still Japan, but, but distinctly not Kyushu…lots  to learn.  

Breakfast has been very good here with lots of fresh items..fruit, salad fixings, Japanese dishes, 2 soups daily, and tasty buns with an unexpected option of pancakes or waffles.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The juices were a treat…particularly liked the Guava juice, delicate fruity taste and not too sweet.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We love fruit and plain yogurt … today, fresh mango, plain yogurt and this citrus fruit…very large size with green/yellow skin and a grapefruit/lemon flavour were our favourites.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heavy winds have been a factor at times during our time in Okinawa. This morning was no exception. This little girl was walking and struggling with her umbrella….sideways and upside down most of the time. This determined little girl would unravel the umbrella while walking. Mom to the rescue…she calmly reached over and put her hand on top without missing a beat.
Heart 2 Comment 0
And then independence reasserted itself…this time, a two handed approach seems to be working, that is until the next gust.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Okinawa is less expensive than other parts of Japan, and since it is the off season, we benefit from great prices . Comfortable room, close to the ferry and a great grocery store nearby, nice people…but time to skedaddle.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Our next stop is to visit the Tourist Office. Our tentative plan is to ride the circumference of Okinawa Island and visit some of the smaller islands as well. The trick is finding the islands that offer ferry service that accommodates our trikes and areas on the main island where we can avoid the American army bases as we prefer the quieter, less busy areas.

Lovely displays at the tourist office of local, traditional items like this kimono and the beautiful yellow robe in the rear.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A traditional garment with the parasol
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Okinawa instrument, Sanshin, is quite unique with three strings, no frets and snake skin. It is considered the soul of Okinawa folk music. Most homes have a Sanshin to be played. It is held in great respect by Ryukyuan culture and is considered to carry the voice of the deities. Typically, a Sanshin is passed down through the generations.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Traditionally, a python skin is used to cover the body of the instrument.

This wall map was very useful for us to have context in making our plan.
Heart 0 Comment 0
At the tourist office we were greeted by these fish suspended from the ceiling. These glass fish are made in the shades of blue we see in the ocean…we also liked the decor of our hotel as its decor also featured these shades blue with accents walls and wood tones.
Heart 0 Comment 0
At the tourist office
Heart 1 Comment 0
This woman was very helpful and communicated fairly well in English. Arigato.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Black billed cranes
Heart 0 Comment 0

It is a cold, gusty day. At one point, I realized that my feet were on the  pedals and I wasn’t pedalling. The tailwind was pushing me along at 20 km/hr. It is one of those days we are bundled up with warm clothes and our rain jackets.

On our ride today, we were happy to stop at a Michi-no-eki and a huge farm/fish/tropical flower market. Decorations are up for Christmas, the music is playing…but most significant for people in Japan is the upcoming New Year.
Heart 0 Comment 0
More traditional decorative pieces for the coming New Year.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This market is incredible and it attracts a huge number of people. The produce was incredible and next door is the gardening area with incredible tropical flowers and plants for sale. Gorgeous.
Heart 1 Comment 0
An extensive selection of orchids in many forms…gift baskets, cut flowers and large plants for the garden. Beautiful.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
A potted orchid gift basket.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Out of focus I know, but loved the colour.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A cool stand up trike and a back-up vehicle should you get in trouble.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Local rice for sale…always with a happy cartoon image of the product being sold.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sacks of rice for sale, ready to be polished in the machine.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Locally grown poinsettias for sale.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Loved the colour of this orchid. Since we can’t take any home with us, we have taken lots of photos.
Heart 0 Comment 0

This stop with the market and the Michi has it all. Flowers, produce and now, saving the most spectacular for last, the seafood section. Enjoy.


Most of the fish is sashimi and ready to eat. People walk around with a tray and take what they want to eat. Tables are outside.

Grilled lobster with sea urchin sauce
Heart 1 Comment 0
Sea urchin and oysters…so fresh and ready to be consumed.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Roasted giant prawns.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Tuna teriyaki on the skewer
Heart 1 Comment 0
Octopus
Heart 1 Comment 0
Sashimi and salmon roe.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Tuna, shrimp and oysters
Heart 1 Comment 0
Parrot fish sashimi - looks yummy.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Salmon roe
Heart 1 Comment 0
We really liked the humour of this one…fish eating the fish.
Heart 2 Comment 0
This swordfish has his eye on us. Our friend Yoshi, an avid fisher and recumbent bike store owner, recently emailed us to share that he had caught a swordfish. Pretty exciting for him. He makes his own sushi and sashimi.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Beautiful colours
Heart 1 Comment 0
It had to happen sometime…a Pokémon manhole.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Most homes and businesses have Shisas on their roof or gates…a female on one side and the male on the opposite side. The form of the Shisa is derived from Chinese guardian lions, resembling a cross between a lion and a dog. The female shisa on the left has a closed mouth and the male shisa on the right has an open mouth. The open mouth wards off evil spirits and the closed mouth keeps good spirits in.
Heart 2 Comment 0

While at the market, the temperature dropped quickly, the winds increased to gusts of 70+ km/hr. Time to reconsider our plan  to carry on as it is now raining as well. Weather not fit for man or beast! So we regrouped and found a hotel on this side of Naha. Yes, we are returning to Naha for another night. The only unfortunate part of this plan is that we will be dealing with a headwind.

Heading back in to Naha. At times, when the gust hits you, it takes all you have to simply move forward. Looking forward to a hot shower and a warm hotel room. Yikes. The changeable weather of the sub tropics can be quite dramatic.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltYes, very quick change of weather for you all -- sunny and warm one day, cold rain and windy the next!
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
On this blustery, stormy day, the view is still beautiful.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Barry, bless his heart, went out into the elements and found dinner for us at a store nearby. The burger with egg on top was unusual with seaweed replacing a bun.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
We are always impressed with the quality of food we can get at grocery stores to bring home.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Our home for the night is the Rembrandt Styles with a view of the ocean. Cosy and comfortable on this stormy night.

Today's ride: 32 km (20 miles)
Total: 1,796 km (1,115 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0