First day on Shikoku - Six Wheels Through Japan Part 2 - CycleBlaze

October 27, 2023

First day on Shikoku

Our stateroom was larger than most hotel rooms we have had in Japan. As always we are provided with toiletries and a robe and slippers. We liked these…especially Barry, as usually his height and build mean that his robe is mini skirt length!
Heart 3 Comment 0
Our Orange Ferry Line ship…very nice and very few passengers.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
We took advantage of the option of disembarking at 7 instead of 6, so we got to depart in a leisurely fashion.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Greatness has preceded us. We so admire professional cyclists and love the Tour de France
Heart 2 Comment 0
Mascots are important in Japan - many businesses and parts of their culture have animated, cute characters like this guy, Bari-San (English spelling…Barry-San). We are easily entertained, but doesn’t this look just a bit like Barry? I’d like to imagine that I could be his passenger, but somehow I don’t think I could fit in the carrier.
Heart 3 Comment 2
Steve Miller/GrampiesIf only Barry's back could take the upright stance this could be you in a HasePino.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Barry BartlettAh yes, so right. Only those of us have travelled in Europe would make this connection.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
A beautiful morning in Toyo Shikoku.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I think we are last off the ferry. We like the option of departing a bit later and avoid the chaos.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Shikoku is a very mountainous country, such a beautiful first look off the ferry.
Heart 4 Comment 0
We will have some challenging days here, but mostly we will have gentle terrain for riding as much of our route will follow the coastline.
Heart 2 Comment 0
First stop of the day is, of course, a stop at a Michi-no-eki. We love these rest stops which feature local products and crafts,cafes and tourist info.This part of Japan is known for its mandarins, persimmons etc and we will share some juice.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
This cutie is the mascot for the Imabari area…safety first as he wisely wears his helmet for riding. The steam rising from the rocks behind indicates that natural hot springs are a feature here. Can’t wait for our first onsen in these therapeutic waters.
Heart 2 Comment 0
A second breakfast at the Michi-no-eki. Fried eggs atop rice with a dash of dashi and fresh daikon on the side. Barry’s bowl included pork and miso soup.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Some types of mandarin here have green skin when ripe.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Shikoku is becoming very interesting for us with local dedicated cycle routes.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Our cycle route is taking us in to neighbourhoods where we see rice fields and follow the train line. Very enjoyable.
Heart 1 Comment 2
Charmaine RuppoltHow interesting that they would plant rice in the space between railroad tracks!
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Keith AdamsTo Charmaine RuppoltLand, especially arable land, is valuable and not to be wasted.
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
So far, Shikoku has rewarded us with the sight of many traditional homes.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The fragrance and sight of these luscious mandarins is making us very happy. We love warm weather and this feels good.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Most homes have mandarins growing in their yard.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Enjoyed the way this fruit stand advertised their produce and octopus balls. Yummy.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We have resched the city of Imabari where we will be staying tonight. Wow, the infrastructure they have in place for the cycling route, Shimamani Kaido is incredible. As Imabari is a start/end point of the route, they are well prepared with rental bikes, service areas to work on your bike, information, maps etc. From the city of Imabari, a blue line has been painted along both sides of the road to guide cyclists. The idea is that you can ride the complete route from Imabari (Shikoku) to Onomichi (Honshu) without GPS or maps. Kudos to the organizers and communities for a job well done.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
This bike with the lacquer finish is beautiful.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Beautiful detail on the frame.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Giant bike shop has gotten in to the spirit of the cycle route with Bari-san, the mascot in his hand.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our first Conbeni (Convenience Store) meal…for Barry a ginger beef bento meal. Delicious.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Mary Ellen chose chicken, rice with a delicious vinegar/tartar sauce.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The Shimamani-Kaido route
Heart 3 Comment 0

Today's ride: 23 km (14 miles)
Total: 68 km (42 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0