A ride to Makeman to stock up on trike packing supplies - Six Wheels Through Japan Part 2 - CycleBlaze

January 12, 2024

A ride to Makeman to stock up on trike packing supplies

Riding around Japan, we have learned that the place we need for packing supplies is Makeman. This store is like an oversized Home Depot. Everything you need for your home, including furniture, clothing and a cafe. We had a nice 12 km  ride on the outskirts of Naha to this store. Last trip, we relied on a dollar store in Osaka for supplies. This was better.

This Makeman store is the main store for Okinawa.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The all important bubble wrap to wrap the trikes’ frames and vulnerable areas.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We have been able to mount everything on our racks to transport it back to our hotel.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Shopping is hungry work..we tried the cafe. Barry had a version of Taco rice, but on noodles.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Not sure what I was thinking, but I ordered pizza toast. It was actually tasty.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We have decided to move to Rhiga Royal Gran Hotel. Just like scouting out the airport, we checked the hotel out first. We liked that the hotel has one of their exits on the second floor which takes you directly to the monorail station.  No stairs and no elevators. Also, they assured us that we could park our bikes inside.

Staying at this hotel for our final 3 nights will be a treat. It is a lovely hotel with a spectacular view, great amenities and a sense of elegance. At home, this hotel would be out of reach for us in cost, but on Okinawa it is affordable.

The view from the lounge on the 12th floor.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another outlook from the lounge.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The sun is setting on another day in Okinawa.
Heart 2 Comment 0
It is easy to while away the time here with the ever changing view. The complimentary coffee helps to pass the time as well.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Enjoying a coffee in the lounge
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 32 km (20 miles)
Total: 2,277 km (1,414 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Bruce WatsonHello again! Great journal ! I have found it very helpful and entertaining. I head off to Osaka in 7 weeks, so I have a few more questions, if I may. Did you buy bike insurance in Japan, or register the bike with the authorities? Did any authorities take any notice of you other than friendly curiosity? Did you do any train or bus travel with the trikes? I don't plan to, but it's good to have a backup. Any issues with bringing in or refilling medications? Who did you use for transportation from the airport in Osaka? Thanks for your help.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Barry BartlettHi Bruce
Wow, good for you. ..is this your first trip to Japan and what type of bike do you ride? I ask because it makes a difference how you get from the airport to Osaka.
1. We did not buy bike insurance in Japan, nor did we notify authorities. We have coverage in Canada and it gives us 100% coverage on theft, etc.
2. We had no negative or intrusive interactions with authorities - always positive.
3. We did not use any transportation other than ferries. In Japan, your bike/trike must be in a bag..a rinko bag..available at bike shops or Montbell, a large Japanese outdoor store. In retrospect, we probably could have if we had folded our trikes, put them in a rinko bag and the train wasn’t full…but never on a Shinkansen train.
4. Medications: We brought everything we needed for the 3 months. We followed the rule on the first trip of registering each medication ,which needs to be done well in advance. It was a bit time consuming, we were approved, yet no one asked for it. We now just pack it in our checked panniers.
5. Re transport from Osaka…that depends on what time you arrive and which airport you are arriving at….Kansai, Itami or Kobe. Let us know and we can give you some advice. Kansai posed a few issues for us as we arrived late and our options were limited as it was too late for the train. Kansai has been built on reclaimed land and one cannot ride…you have to use the train, bus or taxi. On our next flight we chose Itami as it is smaller, closer to city centre and rideable directly from the airport. We really liked Itami airport…charming, we had space to put our trikes together and an easy ride.
Hope this is helpful. Will you be writing a journal? Japan offers so much to a traveller…enjoy.
Don’t hesitate to get in touch if you have any other questions or thoughts you have.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago