A ride around Osaka with a visit to our friend Yoshi at his Bike Shop - Six Wheels Through Japan Part 2 - CycleBlaze

October 24, 2023

A ride around Osaka with a visit to our friend Yoshi at his Bike Shop

Today’s journal begins and end with food with some much needed riding in between. The restaurant at the hotel offers breakfast (mostly for guests) and lunch (mostly locals). The food is excellent and lunch includes soup, salad bar, fresh rolls and coffee - all for 12¥ ($1o Cdn.) Enjoy

Barry chose the tender rare roast beef with semi raw egg, veg on a bed of rice. So tender, no utensils needed…just chopsticks.
Heart 3 Comment 0
ME had a Japanese inspired pasta dish with soy based sauce, local mushrooms and spinach.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We were able to find a route that stayed off main roads, and then we saw this covered walkway/shopping district, so we changed course. And we are so glad we did.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We heard this enthusiastic group of students from Hiroshima before we saw them. They are in Osaka on a school trip and are raising money for a day at Universal Studios. loud cheers erupted when they found out that Barry had been a teacher and even more when we bought a few things to support their cause. Cookies from a confectionary and Oyster flavoured seaweed to use in a soup base.
Heart 3 Comment 0
So many small individually owned shops…seamstress, sake shop, general provisions, food, pharmacy…it’s all here. It is hard to imagine that a major road with many cars and large stores is less than a block away.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltNice to have a friendly, safe and covered pedestrian way!
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Many bikes here have muffs on the handlebars to protect the rider’s heads…both from sun in the summer and cold in the winter.
Heart 1 Comment 2
Steve Miller/GrampiesSuch a good idea.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Barry BartlettWe may invest in these for our winter riding at home. We see elderly ladies using these in the heat to protect their skin.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
New, old and traditional homes are nestled together in close harmony. The area was spotless.
Heart 2 Comment 2
Rich FrasierOh my, those electrical lines!
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Barry BartlettIsn’t it a maze?
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
We find the electrical maze of wiring fascinating. At times this single lane road narrows to just a bit wider than our trikes.
Heart 2 Comment 2
Charmaine RuppoltNo underground cabling there! I would think that's not a good thing in storms or earthquakes?
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Barry BartlettOh yes, it all defies logic.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Barry has found his inner child at the Temple.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Many small buildings where one can pray and make an offering. We find, that going to a temple like this is such a serene relaxing place to be.
Heart 2 Comment 0
These temples are very much a part of one’s daily life.
Heart 3 Comment 0
This neighbourhood temple abuts up to the neighbouring homes.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Yoshi noticed that my light wasn’t working, so he quickly got to work and rewired it. Thanks,
Heart 2 Comment 0
It has been a joy to get to know Yoshi, his wife and their dogs.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Secure parking at a grocery/department store…and the nice thing is that it is free.
Heart 5 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltNice that they provide the chain to lock your bike -
Reply to this comment
6 months ago

This store has a wonderful selection of ideas for dinner which are prepared and ready to eat. We decided on sushi for dinner….futomaki, tuna and salmon. We have learned that around dinner time, an employee goes around and reduces the prices on items that need to be fresh. We took advantage of this and enjoyed good savings. 

Tuna and futomaki…incredible flavours and so fresh.
Heart 5 Comment 2
Charmaine RuppoltGreat you can get an early dinner discount! :)
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Barry BartlettSadly no 🥴
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Salmon sushi
Heart 4 Comment 0
Halloween decorations are everywhere and very festive. It will be interesting to see what Christmas will be like in Japan.
Heart 2 Comment 0
This grocery store has an extensive array of choices for dinner, from sushi, hot entrees, salads…and the quality is very high.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Horse meat Sashimi. Not our choice for dinner…we like seafood.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
A lovely selection of sushi and sashimi.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Today's ride: 20 km (12 miles)
Total: 20 km (12 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Susan JamesThank you for all the food pictures!!!!!
Reply to this comment
6 months ago