A bonus day in Imabari - Six Wheels Through Japan Part 2 - CycleBlaze

November 1, 2023

A bonus day in Imabari

 We woke up after a good sleep in our comfortable beds, yet still tired from yesterday’s exertions. The staff found us a room for a second night, and they kindly moved our luggage to the new room.

We really like this hotel. The staff are very professional and we enjoy the thoughtful amenities and policies that are geared to make cyclists feel welcome.

The Tourist office next door helped us make a plan for the day…the Imabari Castle, possibly a visit to the Imabari towel shop and most importantly seeking out some temples here that are included in the 88 temples featured on Shikoku’s Pilgrimage trail.

We visited one of the temples today… Nankobo Temple, sacred sight #55 of  88.  We were able to buy the special book that will contain the stamps and calligraphy that a monk on-site will put in our book for us. This temple features a magnificent gate at the entrance with four fierce guardians adorned with gold leaf protecting the Temple.

We also visited the Imabari Castle which is noteworthy for being one of 3 castles in Japan which have a salt water moat surrounding  it.  It was built facing the Seto Inland Sea by master castle builder, Todo Takatora, with construction completed in 1608. The moat averages 180 feet in length and is intended to neutralize arrows.

Convenience Stores never cease to impress us with their innovative creations. Here is a bun with jam and butter inside. How do they do it….with a syringe? (when you get the bun, it has not been cut open)
Heart 1 Comment 0
To our delight, the view from our window is of the final bridge of the route and a peak of the Inland Seto Sea.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our trikes have been given a nice place to rest while we stay at the hotel.
Heart 3 Comment 0
A guest at the hotel is touring on this lovely folding Dahon bike.
Heart 2 Comment 0
This whimsical display caught our eye. It melds the traditional samurai culture with cycling. Loved seeing the samurai wearing a bike helmet.
Heart 3 Comment 0
We found one of the Temples which is part of the 88 Temple Pilgrimage on Shikoku.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Impressive characters guarding the entrance to the Temple.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Another impressive carving of a guard at the entrance.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Pilgrims typical wear a traditional woven conical hat, wear white garments and walk with a special stick. There is always a metal stand to hold your stick while you pay your respects.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
A pilgrim making his way from temple to temple.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The roof line is very interesting and distinctive.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The statue of the Japanese Buddhist monk Kukai ( known as Kobo Daishi after his death). He was a monk, calligrapher, poet and the founder of the Shingon school of Buddhism.
Heart 2 Comment 0
This animated sign directs us to the office where a Buddhist monk will personalize our book with stamps and calligraphy on a page to denote this temple. It is a beautiful thing to watch him write calligraphy on the page.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Pilgrims who follow in the footsteps of Kobo Daishi around Shikoku record their journey by collecting stamps and calligraphy at each temple. We are going to visit as many of the 88 temples as we can and collect the stamps and calligraphy for each temple
Heart 2 Comment 0
Our first stamp. Temple 55
Heart 4 Comment 0
Kobo Daishi
Heart 2 Comment 0
A sentiment we agree with.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Imabari Castle
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The vast moat surrounding the castle.
Heart 4 Comment 0
At the castle shrine….
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Tori gates at the Castle shrine
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Another view of the moat.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
The builder of the castle, Takatoro Todo
Heart 1 Comment 0

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Susan JamesJust beautiful pictures!
Reply to this comment
6 months ago