A Fun Day, And FUN Is What Bike Touring Is All About - A Snake, A Heart, And An Earring - CycleBlaze

September 15, 2021

A Fun Day, And FUN Is What Bike Touring Is All About

Couer d' Alene, Idaho

Morning Fun

A startling noise woke me up from a deep sleep. I looked out Mike's screen door to this view.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltBull elk maybe?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZfkx1NgKhE
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

There was something honking very loudly out on the lake at the ungodly hour of 6:30 a.m.  Whatever, or whoever, it was obviously was not aware of the campground rule that clearly states "10:00 p.m. - 7:00 a.m. is quiet time."  The honking was different than the honk of the Canada Goose, with which I am very familiar.  It was a louder, deeper honk.

Of course, I had to get up and investigate.  By the time I threw on some pants and shoes and raced down to the lake, the mysterious honker was nowhere to be seen or heard.

I went back to my campsite, made some coffee, and brought a cup back down to the lake with hope the honker might return.

I didn't hear the honking bird (a trumpeter swan perhaps?), but I did see a seagull, a kingfisher, and a couple of what looked like mergansers. It was a nice place to enjoy my morning coffee.
Heart 4 Comment 0

                                                                ************

Fun On The Trail of the Couer d' Alenes

I took the same trail up the 3% grade as I rode down yesterday.  I have to say, it didn't seem any more difficult.  My cartoon alter-ego and I decided to have some fun with pictures.

"Oh sure, NOW we see the sign. A little late don'tcha think," shouted G-2 at the the folks who maintain the trail.
Heart 1 Comment 0

 

"Yeah, I don't know how that rock slide could have happened to you and not to me," I sympathized.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The sign should have read, "NO SHOOTING GREG IN THE HEAD!"
Heart 4 Comment 0
There's nothing fun about this sign. There was a fire here in July and the bike trail was closed for more than a month. Yesterday I saw firefighters carrying shovels and checking fire hoses along the trail. I suppose they can never be too careful about the possibility of a hot spot flaring up again.
Heart 0 Comment 0
There were many acres of charred trees. I have to believe it was the work of the firefighters that prevented many of them from being turned to ashes.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Leave it to G-2 to find the only hot spot left in this fire zone.
Heart 2 Comment 0
"Don't worry G-2," I assured, "I'll grab this fire hose and blast you with ten gallons-per-minute of ice cold water."
Heart 1 Comment 0

Fun On Highway 95

The thing that made U.S. Highway 95 fun was the 15-mile-per-hour tailwind.  (That doesn't count the four miles in which it was an uncomfortable side wind.  It was a bit more than uncomfortable when big trucks went by and almost blew me into oblivion.)

Son-of-a . . .
Heart 4 Comment 0
. . . YIKES!
Heart 1 Comment 0

The scenery was great though.  I'm not going to bore you with a ton of pictures, but it's my job to show at least a couple.

Nice mountain scenery
Heart 1 Comment 0
I prepared an excuse in case a State Trooper asked why I stopped here. "I had to take an emergency photo of Lake Couer d' Alene's Cougar Bay, officer."
Heart 4 Comment 0
The Reckless Mr. Bing Bong and I took a break on the shores of Lake Couer d' Alene.
Heart 4 Comment 0

Fun In the City 

I wonder how many places have an Indian tribe, a city, a lake, a river, and a bike trail with the same name.  Couer d' Alene does.  I feel like I'm in a one-of-a-kind place.

And if you can name another place with that distinction, how many of them have a name as cool as the French translation of "Heart of an Awl."  I don't even know how that applies here.  The city has heart, but I don't get the awl part.

Proceeding to the downtown area of the resort city of Couer d' Alene, I took some more pictures because my words just won't do.

It's a holy city. Even the National Register of Historic Places recognizes that. So does the photographer staging this photo shoot in front of Couer d' Alene's oldest church.
Heart 1 Comment 0
It's cool and there's a stiff breeze. I bet this beach is packed every day in mid-summer.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The main street through the downtown area is still bustling in the off-season though.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Andrea BrownSomebody took out a grudge on that poor yellow bike.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
I don't think I'll even enquire as to the price for a night at the "Couer d' Alene Resort Hotel."
Heart 0 Comment 0
I'm more of Motel 6 guy.
Heart 0 Comment 4
Kelly IniguezYou are sure correct about CDA being a tourist town! I've just booked us for our summer tour. The Super 8, up by the interstate intersection was $150. Best Western $250., down by the lake, $400. We ended up at the Budget Saver, where Wayne Estes stayed, for $109.

I'm mining through your journal, trying to find mention of Highway 3 from Harrison to Santa, and Deary. It appears that was on your original plan, but you didn't go that way? Would you have any intel for me on Highway 3?
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Gregory GarceauTo Kelly IniguezYes, I had been looking forward to Highway 3, that is, until I got bad reports from Marilyn Swett and that guy at Hells Gate State Park about scary cycling conditions on the roads north and west of St. Maries. Add to that, there was an active forest fire somewhere to the east of Santa and I didn't want to get into any more smoke than I already had. I guess I just chickened out.

Anyway, I think Highway 3 south of St. Maries would have been quite pretty and not so busy.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Kelly IniguezTo Gregory GarceauWe were originally going on the west side of the lake to stay at the CDA casino, which would have put us on the bad road going into St Maries. Jacinto took note that the road on the east side was twisty, which must mean more climbing. He wanted the east side! We found a place to stay in Harrison, so that worked out. The only lodging I could find after that was Airbnb’s. One woman warned me about logging trucks on Highway 3, which is what I was digging around looking for. I’m hoping Highway 3 will be a highlight of the trip for the right reasons!
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Gregory GarceauTo Kelly IniguezI agree with Jacinto that twisty means hills, which are fun. Unfortunately, twisty might also means a lot of blind curves. I hope Highway 3 will be a highlight for you too, and for the right reasons. It will be straighter down there and I wouldn't worry too much about the logging trucks. They're all over the northwestern states and the drivers seem to know what they're doing, unlike a lot of auto drivers coming from who knows where.

I'm not surprised at the scarcity of places to stay on Highway 3. I was counting on a couple of National Forest campgrounds along the way or, as a last resort, wild camping.

I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of route you're putting together and, of course, reading your journal about it.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 45 miles (72 km)
Total: 322 miles (518 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 0