Day 1: to Bad Heilbrunn - So long, Covid! - CycleBlaze

March 25, 2022

Day 1: to Bad Heilbrunn

I suspected this was going to happen - I was too tired at the end of the first day to write my journal. Behind already, but on a two-day tour nothing to worry about. With my pictures and a gps route to help me I think I should still be able to reconstruct our days on the road.

We didn't pack ahead of time. You don't need much for two sunny days on the road I thought, we'll just pack in the morning before we leave. We'll need no rain gear, no extra jersey and pants, no extra undies to fill the panniers. But then there are all those things that you need whether it's two days or two weeks. The electronics for example, which we don't want to do without, and the tools just in case there is an emergency, they all take up a lot of room and are heavy. So with moderately full panniers we were ready to roll at eleven.

Friday was the first day I thought I was recovered enough from my bout with Covid to try a little shake-down tour. The day before we had cycled a 42-km loop from home and that went well. The main argument for leaving now was to take advantage of the fantastic weather. Blue skies and temps around 16 C were predicted for the coming days.

Our surroundings make it easy to cycle south through lovely countryside starting  almost from the front door.

About 2 km from home we have a paved stretch through the woods.
Heart 10 Comment 0
After another few kilometers on a bumpy dirt path we emerge from the forest near Wangen.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Here and there a bicycle sign keeps you from meandering off onto private roads leading to farms or forestry trails.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Of course we have ridden all these roads leading south often, but after a winter of very short rides we are delighted to now stray a bit farther.

It is noon when we reach Zell and spy a bench in front of the village church, the perfect spot for lunch. I packed a picnic for our first day: sandwiches, apple and orange slices and carrot sticks, a healthy start anyway. My experience is that German restaurant food isn't going to provide much along that line.

Time for lunch (photo courtesy of Janos)
Heart 8 Comment 1
Kathleen JonesPerfect. Just perfect.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Janos, to the right, is taking a picture of the Mariensäule, column with the Virgin Mary, erected 1908.
Heart 1 Comment 0
St. Michael's in Zell
Heart 4 Comment 0
Church interior with frescoes from the 13th and 14th centuries. Even these small churches in the villages have a long history. The original church, of which nothing remains, was built in 1206.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltI love visiting churches when I am overseas - they are beautiful! Much more than ones here in the U.S.!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

Today we are trying a new route. I remembered in the past the bicycle path suggested by Komoot and other apps from Bad Tölz heading south via Geretsried was not very attractive. This time we bypass  Schäftlarn and the Isar and descend to the valley of the Loisach at Wolfratshausen. We have discovered a fabulous new route, much of it on a disused railway line, the Isartalbahn-Radweg. It is so close to home and we have never ridden it before.

Wooden bridge over the Loisach at Wolfsratshausen, built in 1989
Heart 10 Comment 2
Scott AndersonHow wonderful that they would build a bridge like this. It looks so much older.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Rachael AndersonWhat a beautiful spot!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Sebastiani Steg, for pedestrians and cyclists
Heart 6 Comment 0
St. Sebastian, patron saint of many, among others archery, gunfire and shooting. The plaque was contributed by the Gebirgsschützen, Corps of Mountain Militia Troops.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Looking downstream on the Loisach
Heart 3 Comment 0
Enjoying the fabulous rail trail
Heart 5 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltI love rail trails - peaceful, no cars, pretty scenery - can't ask for more! :)
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
There's a surprise for us up ahead, Janos.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Detour, should we take it? Hate to leave this path, but we see construction further down the road. After a little bit of down and then up again, we are back on the rail trail.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The mountains are getting closer, but it is a hazy day and we haven't had any very good views of the snow covered peaks of the Alps.
Heart 5 Comment 0

We make a quick stop at a Rewe market in Eurasburg to buy some batteries for one of Janos's devices. He is recording a narrative while filming a video of the day and is surprised to see how fast his batteries are empty.  By the way, it will be a while before he is finished with the editing of his videos, but I will post them on a separate page when they are ready.

A tree, a bench and a chapel in Hohenbirken invite us to sit a while and finish up what is left of our picnic. Actually, we have been making many short photo stops and slow progress. But we're not in a hurry.

A scenic location: St. Barbara in Hohenbirken. We're not the only cyclists here.
Heart 7 Comment 0
Open countryside and bad roads on the last kilometers of the day before we reach our destination.
Heart 1 Comment 0

The name of our hotel is Hotel zum Zauberkabinett, the Magicians Cabinet. An interesting name I think. I will soon see if it is an interesting hotel.

Here we are at the Magicians Cabinet, with a warning not to drink and fly as that witch had apparently done.
Heart 5 Comment 4
Lednar De NallohLove the whimsy.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Lednar De NallohAnd more whimsy to come.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
ann and steve maher-wearySuzanne, so glad to see you are back on your bikes. Love reading your blogs. Happy travelling. We are heading to Lisbon on April 4th. Steve has had covid and I have not. As you and Janus. I am a bit nervous about it as the numbers are starting to climb in Canada and Portugal/Spain but I guess not enough to stay home. I can't wait to get back on our bikes too! It is fun to see everyone on the move again. Safe travels.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Suzanne GibsonTo ann and steve maher-wearyThanks, good to hear you are going to be on the road soon again, too! I am looking forward to your next journal.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

We check in, our room is on the ground floor, the bicycles have their own garage, everything is comfortable and welcoming. And the decor is fascinating. More pictures of that tomorrow.

It is a ten minute walk to the local Italian restaurant for dinner. Back in our room, I look at my pictures, read a bit and turn off the light. I am too tired to write a single word.

Heart 2 Comment 0

Today's ride: 48 km (30 miles)
Total: 48 km (30 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 11
Comment on this entry Comment 6
Rachael AndersonWhat a beautiful day and ride!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Robyn RichardsWe've not cycled in Germany, but after reading your journal I really, really want to! Very enjoyable reading, thanks.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Rachael AndersonAren't we lucky with the weather, though!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Robyn RichardsThank you, Robyn! Germany does have a lot to offer for the cyclist. Glad you are enjoying my journal.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Kathleen ClassenGermany is one of our absolute favourites! Reading this is making me happy. Thanks for posting. You have inspired us to blog our wee trip. That should be coming up in a few days.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Kathleen ClassenGlad I inspired you! Looking forward to your wee tour.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago