To Hitzacker - Wandering around North Germany - CycleBlaze

August 23, 2018

To Hitzacker

A rather strange camping area
Heart 0 Comment 0
A bit too modern for Ken,s liking
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Elbe is very low
Heart 0 Comment 0
A fine collection of winter wood
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sheep in the shade
Heart 1 Comment 0
They are in geese heaven
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
This windmill looked as if it was working
Heart 1 Comment 0

When you look at brochures advertising cycle tours you see happy young looking people pedalling along in gentle sunshine, on a flat well paved track with beautiful scenery around them.  That is what cycle touring is meant to be but seldom is.  Today however was one of those magic days.  Of course forget about the youth but the rest was true most of the time.

In an effort to beat the heat we left at around 7am.  Immediately we were on a perfectly paved track with only the most minor of undulations. All along the way there were neat farmyards many of the houses with thatche roofs.  We saw lots of horses, flocks of geese and even two tractors which Ken approved of.  Along we flew it was effortless, particularly for me with an ebike even though I was only using the lowest level of assist.  I do love this bike it suits me perfectly.

We had travelled 30km when we got Bleckede and still hadn't had breakfast.  Naturally a Backerie appeared and we sat outside it guarding our bikes and drinking coffee and eating delicious pastries.  After this we went through a area of Gingerbread houses.  Being in Germany the gardens were immaculate.  Our next town was neu Darchau where we were to cross to the other side of the Elbe by ferry.  Down we went to the ferry just to find that ferries are not running because in the present weather the water level is too low.  We thought of our friends on the river cruise supposedly sailing to Amsterdam but because of low water levels making their way by bus instead.

Breakfast
Heart 1 Comment 0
Resupplyinf the Backerie
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ken loved this picture on the front page of the newspaper
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sweet little goats
Heart 1 Comment 0

A man at the ferry said just follow the Elbestrasse, don't attempt to follow the cycle route it is too diffcult.  We of course knew better and when the cycle route went off from the road we followed it.  There was extensive farming with lots of crops of potatoes and maize, it was a bit hilly but perfectly manageable.  Then it turned off into the forest and the moment of truth.  I guess the forest is beautiful and it was certainly cool, but we really didn't notice it.  The road was probably one of the worst we have been on steep with VERY loose gravel and sand.  It was almost impossible to stay upright on our heavily loaded bikes - mountain bikes would probably have been OK.  Then the inevitable, Ken was going down a steep hill and his front wheel went from under him.  Over he went and I thought our cycle tour would be over in two days.  He must be tough, all he had to join his nasty cold was some gravel rash.  We walked for the rest of that part.

Joining the Tarmac again after a couple of hills we were in Hitzacker.  This is a charming town, we found a Backerie for lunch and sat in the shade chatting to a nice German couple.  Our hotel is fantastic its only problem being it is up a 10% hill.

A Gingerbread house
Heart 1 Comment 0
This crop looked like over ripe cucumbers
Heart 0 Comment 0
The strange contraption to harvest them
Heart 0 Comment 0
We enjoyed talking to this couple at the lunch time Backerie
Heart 0 Comment 0
Pretty Hitzacker
Heart 4 Comment 0

Today's ride: 70 km (43 miles)
Total: 126 km (78 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Keith ClassenHi Trish/Ken It will be fun following you guys. We are sitting in the Victoria airport waiting for our flight to Zurich. The worst part of the trip is thankfully over- getting ready. We don’t want to hear about any more incidents with loose gravel etc. What a disaster that could have been. So glad Ken is alright. Have a great trip and ride safely. Too bad our paths won’t likely cross. We may get up to Berlin near the end of our trip to visit friends.
Take care and enjoy those new bikes. Keith
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Tricia GrahamTo Keith ClassenWell will enjoy following you. When Ken slipped on the loose gravel of course what I immediately thought of was Kathleen’s accident a couple of years ago. He was lucky Hope your flight isn’t too painful
Tricia
Reply to this comment
5 years ago