Day 18 Tunnel Hill to Chester - John's Half -N- Half Adventure - CycleBlaze

September 7, 2018

Day 18 Tunnel Hill to Chester

Another day of hill repeats

Today started out at 6:55 a.m., because it was going to be a long day in the saddle. Things started out on roller coaster Hills, some of them you could coast down and almost get over the next one. Others were not so generous, they required a bit more work. The roads on the early part of the day were chip seal with loose gravel. Made for attentive riding, 30 mile an hour downhill plus loose gravel equals interesting riding. The ACA Maps had us going left right up down on small roads for the first part of the day. I stopped in Murphysboro for a lunch and to get out of the Heat. After that it was a big push to Chester Illinois. I took the alternate levee route because I thought it would be flatish,which it was. The Levee Road had a detour sign, but detour for cars and trucks is not always the case for bicycles. The Levee Road turned to gravel and then it turned to loose gravel. This went on for a few miles, and then it was a regular Road. Once I got near Chester on Route 3 the roads got very hilly, I'm paying for the flat on the Levee. Chester is Popeye town, the Creator Elzie Segar was from here, there are Popeye and Bluto statues and a store which of course sell spinach and other collectibles.

We are staying with a warm showers host again, for those not in the know. Warmshowers is an online community offering cyclist a place to stay, and usually a shower, a meal, and sometimes laundry. A great thing. Kaye cooked us a great meal, and showed us the sites in town. Capped it off for the trip to local Brewery. It's called The Landmark Brewery good beer. Her husband does Hare scrambles, and from the amount of first place trophies he's pretty good at it.

Hill repeats
Heart 0 Comment 0
Some more
Heart 1 Comment 0
No more Hills
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mississippi River
Heart 0 Comment 0
First look at the Big Muddy
Heart 0 Comment 0
Gravel Levee Road
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 86 miles (138 km)
Total: 986 miles (1,587 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0