Day 2 - Prepping for the Future - CycleBlaze

Day 2

Hancock departure

First time sleeping on my brand new hammock, and may I say, it was life-changing for bikepacking. Not feeling any lumps on my back was perfect. I’m not sure if I’ll ever go back to a tent and a sleeping bag—well, maybe I’m exaggerating a bit—but the comfort was undeniable. I have no idea why I hadn’t tried this before.

After enjoying oatmeal with a banana one of my favorite breakfasts for the past 10 years, I quickly took down my hammock and packed my dishes to start day two of the trip. Not having to break down and pack up a tent is great; I could sure get used to this. 

Heart 1 Comment 0

I cannot stress enough how much I enjoy cycling by the Potomac River. On the second day, despite partly cloudy skies, the conditions were ideal for a ride. We stopped to take a photo at one of the many dams along the C&O Canal. Shortly thereafter, as it started getting darker, we prepared for some rain, as afternoon showers were expected. While riding along, we stopped at a water pump—one of the many perks of the C&O Canal, although not all are operational. Luckily, we found a functioning one, filtered water to top off our bottles, and aimed to reach the campsite before we got soaked.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Upon arriving at Huckleberry Hill campsite, we quickly pitched our tents, and successfully avoided getting wet. I must admit, whether it's a hammock or a tent, I always try to find a spot facing the river; sleeping to the sound of flowing water is nice.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0