Aegina - Cycling Greece - CycleBlaze

May 21, 2009

Aegina

From Poros we took a short ferry ride to Aegina, another of the Saronic Islands. We wanted to see Aegina in its own right, but we also chose it as an overnight because it is close enough to Piraeus that we could ferry there the next morning from Aegina early enough to catch the ferry south to Sifnos.

From here on out, our trip had a much different character. Ferry hopping across a series of seven islands in two weeks, our days were no longer dominated by bicycle travel. Instead, they were characterized by ferry rides of varying lengths, hikes, and sea kayaking. Cycling opportunities were few and far between.

Aegina is cyclable though, and we enjoyed a short half-day loop tour of the island. Our primary destination was the great Temple of Aphaia, an important monument and one of the best preserved Doric structures in Greece. Along the way, we also stopped to wander around the ghostly ruins of Paleohora, the former capitol of the island that was abandoned in the late 1800's. Now it is utterly deserted but the remaining ruins give a sense of what once existed here.

Arrival at Aegina.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Horse and buggy, Aegina Town.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Blankets drying at the monastery, Aegina Town.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Paleohora, the former capitol of the island, was abandoned in the early 19th century.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Abandoned church, Paleohora. The city allegedly had 365 churches before its abandonment - one for every day of the year.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Many of the structures at Paleochora have interesting insignia and inscriptions.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Stairway to the summit, Paleochora.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Church lintel, Paleochora.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Overlooking Aegina Town from Paleochora.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Church of the Taxiarches, Paleochora.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Temple of Aphaea, on Aegina, is one of the best preserved Doric structures in Greece.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Temple of Aphaea, Aegina.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Temple of Aphaea, Aegina.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Temple of Aphaea, Aegina.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sheltered from the surf, Aegina.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fish market, Aegina Town.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Boats in the harbor, Aegina.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 23 miles (37 km)
Total: 871 miles (1,402 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0