Buxy: It is still hot - Following Rivers and Pilgrim Trails from Zurich now Dawdling around France - CycleBlaze

August 17, 2016

Buxy: It is still hot

Something rather strange has happened as far as French Breakfasts are concerned. I have always found them unexciting in the past but this has not been the case this year. Ken has always been able to get cereal, there has always been fresh fruit salad, freshly squeezed orange juice, warm pastries and an assortment of home made jams. Perhaps it is because we are staying in slightly better hotels than we usually do and are generally having their breakfasts.

Today the weather was meant to be cooler, it wasn't, exactly the pattern of the last few days persisted with the weather reaching over 30 by midday and then just continuing to climb. Our route today was from Macon on what is said to be the first Voie Vert established in 1997. We easily got onto it and the first part was particularly gorgeous riding through the vineyards of the Macon area and passing through lots of small towns. The weather was still not too hot and we met a couple of other pairs on cycle tours one from Coffs Harbour in Australia and a French couple with the heaviest laden bikes I have ever seen. After that the work started and we had a long climb up to the Bois Clair Tunnel. This tunnel is open from April to September and I was certainly pleased I didn't have to take the alternative route over it. It is the home to a number of protected bat species which is what accounts for its closure. Inside the tunnel is gloriously cool with a constant temperature of 11 degrees and a well lit and perfectly paved path which takes you for 1,7km through the mountain. Then on to Cluny, crossing and recrossing the TGV line. It is at Cluny that the Voie Vert following an old railway really starts again. What an amazing facility this is, today we saw many family groups cycling, walkers and inline skaters everyone seemed to be really enjoying themselves and coping with the rising temperatures better then me. One of the good things is that you can hire bikes at one of the 'stations' and drop it off at another so if you want to you can do quite moderate distances.

I was certainly glad to reach the hotel at Buxy. A cold shower, a bit of a sleep, lots of Perrier Water, some dark chocolate and a some Olympic watching and I am about back to normal

Heart 0 Comment 0
It is a good place to walk dogs
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is how they spray the grapes
Heart 0 Comment 0
Berze-Le-Chateau
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
For Megan
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cluny
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Horses to
Heart 0 Comment 0
And walkers
Heart 0 Comment 0
A railway over bridge
Heart 0 Comment 0
Filling up with wter
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Buxy
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The wine cooperative. Most people were going out laden with cases. ken must have made the smallest purchase of the day!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 66 km (41 miles)
Total: 693 km (430 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0