Girona - Girona to Bilbao 2014 - CycleBlaze

May 16, 2014

Girona

Day ride to Les Planes d'Hostoles

This morning was dedicated to our final departure task - shipping our suitcases forward to Bilbao so they will be there for us at journey's end. The last two times we've done that we have roped people at our hotel into managing this for us, but this time we were advised that the easiest and cheapest option would be to walk them down to the post office, where they would be happy to take them off our hands. We were a bit skeptical, but we gave it a try; and to our surprise, it worked! And, it was cheaper - 45 euros. I'm not sure about the easier part though - the post office wouldn't take them unwrapped (in my imagination, I had hoped they might just affix mailing labels to them; but then I'm an incurable optimist). Two hours later, after a scavenger hunt to find materials and a lengthy session with paper and scissors, we were elated to see our arts and crafts project receive a just passing grade.

So, we're off! Our first ride was a mitten-shaped loop west of Girona, crossing a pair of gradual, low ridges in the foothills of the Garrotxa region before dropping to les Planes. From there we followed the Ruta del Carrilet (an unpaved bikeway) as it gradually dropped as it followed the Ter River, ending only about a half mile from the city center. Somehow we got snarled at the end though, and added three miles of futile meandering before finally getting back on track. With our late start we didn't return to town until a bit after six - just in time to clean up and start thinking about where to eat.

Net elevation log: 2800' today, 2800' total.

Our bike cases are accepted for transport!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Temps de Flors comes to the Girona Cathedral
Heart 0 Comment 0
Northwest of Girona
Heart 0 Comment 0
Twenty more miles like this - coasting back to Girona on the Carrilet
Heart 0 Comment 0
Along the Carrilet
Heart 0 Comment 0
Small plots line the banks of the Ter on the outskirts of Girona
Heart 0 Comment 0
Breaking ground in style
Heart 0 Comment 0
Saint Feliu Church and the Cathedral
Heart 0 Comment 0
El pont d'en Gomez
Heart 1 Comment 0
Girona under glass
Heart 0 Comment 0
You can never take too many photos of the Eiffel Bridge
Heart 0 Comment 0
Temps de Flors after hours
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fan dance
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bringing down the curtains on Temps de Flors
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 52 miles (84 km)
Total: 52 miles (84 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0