Day 32: Krong Samraong - Kralanh - Frankie goes to.....Indochina - CycleBlaze

January 25, 2018

Day 32: Krong Samraong - Kralanh

Routing: #68

I didn´t expect anything from today´s ride and I wasn´t going to be disappointed. Yawn! But if the road itself is not good enough for a good day, the Khmer people along the side will help out. Reliably! So just very briefly the bullets regarding the actual cycling part:-great continuous shoulder on a dead flat road -fierce headwind from the southeast. The temperatures are currently continuously in the mid 30s Celsius and that headwind feels like a giant blowdryer. I do normally like the heat as such but in these conditions you do tend to dehydrate swiftly and that´s why I strictly stick to one discipline: Every 10 km I will have a drink break and that´s a great opportunity to get into touch with the locals. They are probably used to see some western people but only in a minibus on their way from or back to the Thai border.

Coming into Kralanh on the crossroad with Hway 6 I was aiming for a guesthouse on the southeastern exit of town that Jan had recommended. He must have been talking about the Sovannaphum GH about 1 1/2 km down the 6 towards Siem Reap. I would certainly have picked that too if I would have stayed here for more than one night but in the end I decided for the combined guesthouse and beverage wholesaler a bit closer to the center, right opposite the Acleda Bank. Very basic with moderate housekeeping records but I got a corner room in the back of the building again (essential two windows!) for 6 $ and a can of Angkor for 2000 Riel. Who wouldn´t have stayed? But honestly - the next time I would rather walk that extra 1 km (if it is that much) into town and go for the Sovannaphum. I believe there is one more guesthouse in town - attached to the petrol station - but that did look even more basic than mine. Never mind, it´s all about getting down to Siem Reap tomorrow.

Great breakfast with the boys from Phnom Penh: Huon, Kosal and Chhunleng are working for the Ministry in charge for the drinking water supplies of the rural population. I guess it´s hard to find a more important job. Hope to see you guys down in the capital soon!
Heart 1 Comment 0
See this photo and you know what I saw for 5 hours
Heart 2 Comment 0
I can do with some good spirits regarding the wind direction otherwise it will be an energy consuming ride down to the Vietnamese border
Heart 2 Comment 0
These two pyjama ladies in their ultrabasic kitchen were going out of their way to serve me the meatless meal I was asking for
Heart 4 Comment 0
Looks less than average but was a yummy outcome: tofu with vegetables and a fried egg
Heart 4 Comment 0
Big boy and his girls
Heart 0 Comment 0
Along Hway 68
Heart 1 Comment 0
Further along Hway 68
Heart 2 Comment 0
Finally they are fully open...
Heart 4 Comment 0
...and harvested
Heart 4 Comment 0
Krong Samraong - Kralanh
Heart 0 Comment 0

Note: I am in Siem Reap since Fri, Jan 26 and have met up with Jan but we are obviously busy doing other things.....So I may fall behind a couple of days with the blog. My apologies but after such a long time on my own I am thoroughly enjoying socialising with a same-minded friend!

Today's ride: 77 km (48 miles)
Total: 2,546 km (1,581 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0