Oysters! - A little French Odyssey - CycleBlaze

September 21, 2023

Oysters!

We woke up to wet roads, driving rain and trees quaking in the wind, so today was the perfect make decisions day. What are we doing? How far are we riding? What's the weather? Where are we starting? How are we getting there? And how many curve balls will the cycling gods throw us before we start? 

The original idea was for all of us, four people and four bikes, to take the train to Nantes and amble our way back. But someone else had already booked the only bike space in the trains that worked, so that was a non starter.

Cue about a dozen different options, one more complicated than the other. Loop ride, local trains, head south, head north, split into two groups, one fast, one slow.

The final decision is perhaps the most complicated of the lot, but we think it might just work.

Four people, 4 bikes and 8 panniers will shoehorn themselves into C+C's not very roomy Tesla S for the 3-hour drive to Nantes. Almost all the above will transfer to a found on the internet Nantes hotel. Driver, probably Christoph, then returns to Royan for the night and gets an early morning train back to meet up with his bike and the rest of the crew, who have spent a leisurely morning playing tourist. Either the ride starts in the afternoon or we take a local train to the coast and start the Vélodyssée on Sunday morning. 

More decisions to come.

All that means today was a foodie day. Market in the morning, oysters for lunch and sweet, fresh mussels for supper. Plus packing panniers and packing car.

Prepping oysters is hard work
Heart 1 Comment 0
But can be very satisfying
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
But cooking mussels takes minutes
Heart 1 Comment 0
And leaves lots of debris
Heart 1 Comment 0
Magnificent melon
Heart 0 Comment 0

And it rained, off and on, all day. Perfect weather for foodie fun.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0